Monday, May 31, 2010

Vendaka Thayir Pachadi / Bhindi Raita

I luv okras in any form....after my addiction to kadai bhindi this is next to it. Tried this from Nags space with not much of modifications. I have had this once in Saravana Bhavan as a starter for meals not knowing that this was so simple to make it at home.I can guarantee even those who hate okras will like this.
Bhindi or Okra Raita / Vendaka Thayir Pachadi
Ingredients
  • Vendakka / okra - 10 to 12
  • Onion - 1 medium sized finely chopped
  • Oil - 1tsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Green chillies - 1 finely chopped
  • Cumin seeds / Jeera - 1/2 tsp
  • Thick curd - 1 cup
  • Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt to taste
Method:
  1. Wash and chop the okras into thin rounds .

  2. Heat oil, add mustard seeds let it splutter add jeera fry for a minute, now add onions, green chillies,curry leaves and okra.

  3. Saute for 5-7 mins till onions turn light brown and the okra loses its stickiness.Fry till okras are light crispy. Drain it in a tissue paper to take out the excess oil and keep aside to cool.

  4. Beat curd, add salt. Now add the fried okra mixture and mix well till all is combined.Sprinkle chilli powder on top if needed.
This pachadi goes well with rotis, rice or even as such which is what I did :)

Bhindi or Okra Raita / Vendaka Thayir Pachadi
The nice crunch in the onions with okras dipped in thick curd was yummy......so do give it a try. For me anything dunked in curd has a special place in my tummy so is this one. I luv the vendaka puli pachadi also...will post the recipe sometime soon.

32 comments:

  1. Beautiful it looks and tastes equally good too,mom makes this mostly when ever she needs to make thayir pachdi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our fav pachidi! Love this with sambar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is a new version..never tried before...
    Very tempting pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks lovely dear...
    nice clicks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love okra. This is a good combo with rasam rice. Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can finish off that bowl...its one of my favourite raitas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice version of raita and definitely cool cool in your hot summer time. Looks so mouth watering, Sharmi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love crispy fried bhindi but never tried with curd. Looks wonderful combination and lovely click.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chetana Suvarna GanatraMay 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM

    Sharmilee....love dis one...too good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am yet to try bhindi raitha...lovely click...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for trying this :) So glad you liked the dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favourite pachadi too, fabulous click Sharmi..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love this a lot..nice click.. I make this for my guests usually :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, nice click. Nice recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this one .. my husband is an expert in making this .. looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUM! Send it over, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sharmilee..I too wanted to try this. Nice Pic!

    Crisp Layout! I could not see the second column fully. check that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks superb!! Love raithas with chapathis..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow! This pachadi is my favorites. As such I love Bhindi! Looking tempting too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ve made with brinjal, but vendakai sounds tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this sooooooooo much.. and the clicks are good and making me drool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. மிகவும் அருமையாக இருக்கின்றது...சூப்பர்ப்...

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is one of our favorites too. I usually roast the okra in the microwave as it saves up some time. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Never made this dish..looks tempting!! gotta try it out soon..;-))

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks yum. I love oka in curds too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never had bhindi in raitas..a different one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this so much..yummy pachadi.nice clicks :)
    You have a wonderful blog..so happy to be here..thanks for your sweet comments dear at my space...really happy to follow u :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for dropping by my blog sharmilee...u have an awesome space here...and tht raita looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is new for me. My husband loves bhindi. I will try making this the next time I get young okra.

    Btw - do you dry roast your cumin for this pachadi?

    ReplyDelete
  30. @PreeOccupied : Sure try it, u'l luv it!!
    Dry roast jeera with mustard seeds in a tsp of oil

    ReplyDelete