Sunday, June 13, 2010

Basic Vanilla Sponge Cake for a celebration!

Hurray! A new cocoon for sharmispassions....Yes from blogspot, sharmispassions has moved to its own domain www.sharmispassions.com...It almost took 2 weeks for me to get convinced to go ahead with this name for .com....becos reading more about SEO (Search Engine Optimisaiton) confused me to opt for a change....I was with around 20 names to shortlist....but then finally I felt this name was my identity in this blog world and wanted it to remain the same :) so went ahead with it! This is the final post with 'blogspot' watermark :)


It was my long time thought to move to my own domain but something or the other took more priorities that stopped me from doing it.But I was particular not to delay further and this should happen in June as its a special month for me....yes my lil one is nearing her 1st bday on June 19th.... its even more special as she was born on my fathers bday....What more blessing can I ask out of life?!
Vanilla Sponge Cake
And finally here I am with my dream come true :) Thanks to all my friends and readers for all ur encouragement and support....wishing for the same in future too!! Waiting to hear ur feedback or suggestions. The transition and redirections are not completely over....its in process but that doesnt affect anything on the front end...But do let me know if you have any problems!


Its celebration time with this yummy vanilla sponge cake....this is hubby's favorite. To be true I made this for his bday and it was lying in drafts for a long time....dusted it out for this celebration :) Okay now going on to the recipe:


Ingredients:
  • Maida or APF - 200 gms
  • Butter - 200 gms (at room temperature)
  • Eggs - 2
  • Powdered Sugar - 200 gms
  • Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
  • Salt - one pinch (optional)
  • Baking powder - 1 tsp


Vanilla Sponge Cake


Method:
  1. Sieve maida and baking powder twice and keep aside. This is for evenly mixing of baking powder with the flour.


  2. Beat the eggs till soft and fluffy with a blender or mixer. The egg should be almost doubled in size showing the frothy texture on top.I blended using the normal mixer till fluffy.


  3. Next, lightly beat butter and sugar together till nicely blended [The butter should be at room temperature before mixing it with sugar] Add the beaten eggs to this.


  4. Mix the egg butter sugar mixture well, add vanilla essence and mix well. Now add salt and mix well again.


  5. Gently add the flour little by little(may be in 2-3 parts) stirring continuously. Make sure no lumps are formed. I started first with a spatula but ended up with my hands for mixing :)


  6. Preheat the oven at 180 deg C for 10 mins. Meanwhile transfer the batter to a greased tray and bake it for 30-35 mins.


Vanilla Sponge Cake
Needless to say the aroma and taste. The cake comes out so soft and moist!! This is the only piece of cake I could reserve to click and test for the next day :)

44 comments:

  1. Hurray!! Congratulations girl! Transition seems to have happened perfectly well :)
    Cake looks moist and delicious, pass that plate to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great going gal....cake looks yummy n so perfect...nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your spanking new space Sharmi; love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats sharmi for the next level in blogging... the site looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Congrats Sharmi..The cake looks yummy..great picture..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is wonderful....Never expected these talents in you:)))..It would have been great if you could make it during the college days :)

    Congrats!!! and it is wonderful to see the recipes and infact I am also trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks perfect even i do like cake but it should be without egg.I ll be gr8 ful if you could tell me eggless one method

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats sharmi.. The cake looks yummy and great clicks too..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Sharmi...the layout looks great. very fresh and welcoming. love this sponge recipe. thats my bro's fav cake and just baked some 2 weeks back. simple yet yummilicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice... Congrats... Lovely looking cake... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Sharmi for ur new space..Cake looks super spongy, vaalu kuttiku athukula 1yr aaga potha..keep rocking dear..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hats off dear.
    May many more success follows you..
    cake looks absolutely mouth watering...Beautiful click.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cake looks delish Sharmi and a big congrats to you..

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Sharmi...Cake looks delicious !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on ur new space.. The cake looks moist and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Sharmi.....Cake looks perfect and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats Sharmi.Adv b'day wishes to the baby.Cake looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your new domain.... Cake looks spongy and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats sharmilee...my daughter's birthday falls on 18th :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on ur new space!! Admire you doing all this with a one year old, I know life can be extremely hectic:-)) Perfect sponge!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you, congratulations. I got my own domain too few months ago! :))

    Sponge cake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Sharmi,
    On your new domain. Cake looks moist and yummy

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the new home :-) The Vanilla Sponge Cake looks so perfect n delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. congrats sharmi...Vanilla cake looks so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the new domain. I think youve made a great decision by sticking with your original idenity :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hearty Congratulations! :) Happy for you Sharmi,way to go :) Cake looks very nice and cute doll too :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. nice pics...will try this recipe for sure

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so simple and good. Congrats on the new domain name!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your 'new home':) I love your pics and the layout!THe sponge cake looks exotic

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on your new domain, loved the new look and layout of your site.

    The cake looks moist and delicious, lovely pictures as usual:-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. CONGRADS Sharmi!!!

    so you should host a treat for me.. okay??

    and seeing the Butter and Egg's at your cake recipe surely tells that its a Celebration Cake!!

    Good Luck on all your Ventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations Sharmi on your own space and this new palce is just awesome. I am sure you will whip up lots of wonderful recipes, with beautiful pictures like you always have.
    Happy birthday in advance to the sweet kiddo and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks everyone for ur support and encouragement!! And thanks for the wishes too...:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats!
    Perfect slice of cake to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. perfect cake dear started following u,
    do visit my blog if time permits,
    http://premascooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Celebration time indeed...Congrats to get your own domain and also Advance Happy Birthday to your little one.....cake looks so yum and perfect....

    ReplyDelete
  37. i want to make this tonight, convinced from your pictures that even using 4 eggs would turn the cake into a spongy airy delish cake. wish me luck! i was looking for a less egg required recipe for sponge cake and found this. thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi, I liked your blog, after seeing the vanilla cake i tried at ed to make it at once , had everything at home. Did exactly the same way God! what a wonderful CAKEEEEEEE .

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  39. @Joy:Thanks a lot for trying and letting me knw...am glad u like it. This is another no fail recipe I got from my cousin....am sure u must have enjoyed till the last bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks a lot for nice cake receipe....It turned up very very good...

    ReplyDelete
  41. @Jai : Thanks for trying n letting me know...Am glad that u liked it!

    ReplyDelete