Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ragi Roti - A healthy breakfast

Lazing around on a sunday morning, the climate being soo cool didnt want to get up from bed at all. And to my surprise the breakfast was my favorite - Ragi roti! I cudnt take a better picture of this roti but dont go by the pic....but believe me it tastes soo gud and filling. Here goes the recipe....This has 2 variations sweet and karam.

Ragi RotiIngredients for karam:
Ragi powder - 1.5 cups
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Onions - 1
Coriander leaves - a handful
Green chillies - 1
Oil

For sweet :

Jaggery - 1 small ball/according to taste
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Coconut - 2 tbsp


Method :
1.Saute the ragi powder in a empty tawa for 5mins, Keep aside
2.Tamper mustard seeds, add onions, coriander leaves and green chillies and fry for few mins. Add it to the ragi powder
3.Add hot boiled water to the above mixture, the consistency should be thick enough to roll them into balls. Roll them into balls and flatten them on a polythene sheet.
4.Put it on a pan, pour little oil along the sides. Turn to other side until it is cooked.Serve hot with coconut chutney.

For sweet :
Boil 1/2 cup of water and add jaggery to it. Stir it until its liquified.
Pour it little by little to the sauted ragi powder,add coconut and cardamom powder. Roll , flatten them and repeat the 4th step mentioned above.

I felt the sweet roti was little harder while the karam was soo soft and crunchy.

And I am sending my Ragi Kozhukatati to JFI- Ragi

9 comments:

  1. This is something i've been wanting to try for long - will definitely try the kaaram version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spicy version. Never heard of a sweet ragi rotti!! Mustn't show this to J tho!!! The man won't leave me in peace!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make these rotis when I was in Hyd we had lil ingredients and those were the easiest ones to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never tried Ragi roti. Looks really good..Will have to try soon !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharmilee, I think I would like the sweet version very much. Thanks for sending it to the event. Kindly link back to the event announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi sharmilee,i've tried this karam recipe last sunday...but it was not that gud.... :-( the center portion remained uncooked,though i heated it for a long time.the color and flavor was gud...i hav to try it again in some other weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Geetha: Try to flatten them thin so that it cookes well. I guess u might have it lil thick in the middle and tats is y i didnt get cooked well.Try it this way and see

    ReplyDelete