Sunday, January 10, 2010

Channa Biriyani

Adapted from Spicesetc this flavourful channa biriyani is filling for a meal and rich in protein and fiber. Modified the recipe a little to suit our taste.
Channa Biriyani
I was happy to see each grain of rice seperated the way I wanted.......This is going to be my keeper for biriyani so I measured everything accurate and here goes the recipe from my kitchen:

Ingredients:
Basmati Rice - 1 1/4 cup
Channa - 3/4 cup [ I used the black one]
Ghee - 2 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Cloves - 2
Cardomom - 1
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Onion sliced - 1 Big size
Tomato chopped - 1 (I used 1/2 for grinding and the other half for frying)
Red chilli powder -1/2 tsp
Salt

For grinding
Ginger - small piece
Garlic - 4 to 5 cloves
Green chillies - 1
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
Mint/Puthina leaves - 2 tbsp
Coconut - 1 tbsp
Tomato - 1/2

Method:
1.Soak channa overnight and Pressure cook it with salt till its soft(It took 9 whistles for me.). Set aside.

2.Rinse basmati rice,strain and set aside. Heat oil in cooker, Add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom one by one. Add onions and tomato and saute for few mins.

3.Add the ground paste, chilli powder, salt and fry till all is mixed well.Add basmati rice, fry for 2mins along with the mixture.

4.Add exactly 2.5 cups of water. Keep in high flame for 1 whistle, then keep in medium flame and pressure cook for 9-10 mins.

5.Now open, add ghee and cooked channa to the rice and toss gently without mashing it. Serve hot with onion raitha!

Channa Biriyani

23 comments:

  1. Hi Sharmilee, very healthy version. The black chana is more healthier than the kabuli chana, surely looks like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks tempting :) yumm and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tempting clicks..I have this in my drafts. Your post reminded me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very tempting, Sharmilee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too had an eye on mahima's channa pulav,with black channa it looking very nice,I will try in future for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm!!channa briyani looks tremendous..such a protien packed rice dish..

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like an easy one-pot lunch option!skip the salt the next time you cook channa and then you wont need to pressure cook it for 9 whistles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Dershana : Thanks for ur tip, will try it out next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy biriyani...i make it as channa rice...love to have channa with this flavour

    ReplyDelete
  10. channa pulao luks yum..wish to try it sometime

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for trying sharmi.. needless to say, lovely click.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome biryani...wholesome meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Appapa unga pic makes me hungry! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh looks so yummy my friend..thanks for visiting my blog..u got a selective recipes:)do join as a follower too:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE LOVE black chana in any dish, rice looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! The biryani looks so tempting. I never thought of using chickpeas with rice. great !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely.. the pictures are great and I am sure the rice tastes even better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have never thought of chana in a biriyani!! Will try for sure. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  19. My first time here...the channa biryani looks delectable:) and after seeing your masala chai, i cant stop myself to make one for me now:)
    Cheers and Do visit,
    Rachana
    rachanakothari.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Inviting biryani ! Lovely pictures Sharmilee ! Thanks for the visit and the comment, will keep your ideas on the header in mind and will try and incorporate the next time I am working on my header :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Healthy and different biriyani....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy biryani.. Was actually searching for this recipe for quite sometime.. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete