Sunday, December 19, 2010

Carrot Kheer (Carrot Payasam)

As I've mentioned so many times, I just love carrots, be it carrot juice or carrot milkshake or this kheer I am very tempted. Earlier when I posted carrot milkshake, I posted it as carrot kheer not knowing that it was carrot milkshake ;) then updated the recipe and pic last month in the old post.
Carrot Kheer Recipe




Ingredients:
  • Carrot - 2
  • Milk - 1.5 cups
  • Sugar - 3 tsp
  • Ghee - 1 tsp
  • Cashew - 3 broken
  • Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Method:
  1. Pressure cook carrots for 2 whistles and grind it to a smooth paste. Keep aside.


  2. Heat ghee in a pan, add the cashews and fry them to golden brown and keep aside. In the same pan, saute boiled carrot paste until the raw smell completely leaves.


  3. Then add milk, sugar and mix well. Cook for 5-7 mins until the kheer becomes thick. Keep stirring.


  4. Now add cardamom powder, ghee roasted cashews and stir well. Switch off, serve hot or cold as per your choice!


Carrot Kheer Recipe
The milk tends to absorb the carrots very well and since its simmed and cooked, the milk is thickened which gives a yummy taste.


I like it cold and hubby likes it hot. The color of the kheer purely depends on the carrots....last time when I made with the same measurement I got it a little more orangey which was very attractive.


I can never forget the incident when I tried this for the first time, I just tried only for 1 cup of glass. I gave hubby to taste it which he thought it was offered to him fully and enjoyed it completely only later he realised noone else even tasted the kheer so whenever I make this I pull his leg with this incident :)


Carrot Kheer Recipe
Stay tuned for the christmas special : eggless vanilla chocolate chips cupcakes. Merry Christmas to all in advance!

34 comments:

  1. looks yummy n refreshing drink, nice clicks...
    Kurinji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great and the pictures are beautiful asusual sharmi.. By the way this is very healthy dessert or drink and my fav too. I usually add 3 4 cashew pieces when we grind the carrot which gives rich taste aswell. And then all same as u did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pavi : Oh thats a nice idea to will try it next time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowwwwwwwww.. looks truly delicious and perfect.. very tempting clicks !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so tempting.I loved the saffron color too,makes it that much more appetizing.I enjoyed the background which gives you an opportunity to do some leg pulling:)Merry Christmas to you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very lovely recipe with carrots...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even i do prepare this regularly for my daughter.Yours look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely tempting and super yummy looking clicks :) second one with the spoon makes me drool :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrot kheer looks awesome. Nice color and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and healthy kheer, awesome clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prepare this frequently and just love the flavour of cardamom in this kheer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, this is soooooo delectable! Simply loved it...am bookmarking! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice recipe.. would love to try this... nice pics... as well.
    Merry Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff here. A happy holiday season to you and your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The kheer looks so inviting n the click is simply awesome !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the color..healthy and delicious kheer

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is my fav kheer! love the colour

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhw wow...I love this, looks truly divine Sahrmi...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Healthy and delicious drink...yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice pic..looks so perfect and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made it last time and before taking camera everybody started having it.. i knw its a very tasty kheer.. :) happy xmas Sharmilee

    ReplyDelete
  22. U have an awesome space here sharmilee!!! Now happy to be ur follower...Do drop in to my space sometime..cya..Off now to check out all ur recipes ;0

    ReplyDelete
  23. love ur first pic...and colour is just brilliant...very special!

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely pictures and yummy kheer...

    ReplyDelete
  25. First time here, you have a great fruit based recipes, amidst other good ones, also lovely photographs. Will surely follow you.

    ReplyDelete