Monday, December 13, 2010

Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu - Step by Step Recipe

The very first time when I tried this I felt it was a very lengthy process with few confusions and was disturbing amma now and then so thought I should have this in my space with stepwise for my readers and for my future reference as well :) So here goes the recipe with stepwise:
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu - (Lentil Balls in Coconut Tamarind Sauce)




Ingredients for the urundai:
  • Toor dal (Thuvaram paruppu) - 1/2 cup
  • Channa dal (Kadala paruppu) - 1/4 cup
  • Onion - 1 tbsp
  • Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
  • Coconut grated(optional) - 1.5 tbsp
  • Red chillies - 2
  • Fennel(Sombu) - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt - to taste
To grind to a paste:
  • Coconut - 1/2 cup
  • Big onion - 1/2
  • Tomato - 1/2
For Kuzhambu:
  • Tamarind - 1 lemon sized ball
  • Tomato - 1/2 small (chopped)
  • Chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric - a pinch
  • Salt - to taste
To temper :
  • Oil - 1 to 2 tbsp
  • Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam ) - 1/4 tsp
  • Mustard - 1 tsp
  • Small Onion - 6 to 8 [Recommended to use small onions but I used big onions as I didnt have small onions at that time]
  • Tomato - 1/2
  • Curry leaves - 1 tbsp


Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe
Method:
Soak the dals in water for 2 hrs. Add lemon sized tamarind in 1/4 cup water, extract juice and keep aside. Then drain water from the dal, grind it with red chillies and fennel to a semi coarse mixture. Sprinkle only little water say 1 to 2 tsp while grinding.
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe


Now add salt, coconut, onion and ginger garlic paste with the grinded mixture and mix well. Alternatively you can add garlic and ginger in the previous step itself and grind it together with the dal. Make lemon sized balls out of it and keep aside. Grind onion, tomato with coconut(ingredients mentioned under 'to grind') to a fine paste and keep aside.
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe


Heat oil in a kadai and add the ingredients under 'to temper' one by one : First add mustard seeds allow it to crackle, then fenugreek seeds, onions, tomato and curry leaves. Saute for 3mins then add 2.5 cups of water with chilli and coriander powder and allow it to boil. Once the water starts boiling, simmer and gently add the lentil balls one by one taking care not to mush it.
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe


Allow it to get cooked, dont turn over which will make the balls mushy. Once the balls are cooked it will become firm, then you can turn over once and thats the stage you have to add the grinded paste and tamarind juice.Add required salt and mix well.
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe


Now let the gravy thicken and boil for few minutes. Simmer it after boiling and let it cook for another 2-3 mins. When the gravy is as thick as in the below pic, Switch off and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe


I have watched amma making it many times and wanted to give a try and this is the 2nd time I'm trying it myself....Its my favorite gravy with rice. The lentil balls in coconut tamarind sauce tastes best, I luv it even with dosas and chapathis. This seems to be a lengthy process but once you taste it am sure you will not regret for the pain taken.


Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe


My Notes:
  • I was very much skeptical about adding the lentil balls as such in the gravy but it works fine. I've heard from my friends that the balls need to be steamed before adding it to the gravy but I find adding it directly is messfree and easy.


  • Be careful in turning over the balls before its cooked. Also add them only after the water starts boiling and dont forget to simmer after the balls are added.


  • The texture of the balls is purely your choice, we usually like it a bit smooth. You can make it even more coarse too.


Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu Recipe
Flavorful & Tempting Lentil Balls

44 comments:

  1. Wow! delicious..never tried adding urundai directly in the kuzhambu..used to steam cook:-) will try your way..the tips are really useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very different.i've nt tried tis urundai kulambu b4.we do urundai mor kulambu tat too fried one!

    hey vazhakai pepper chops was too gud n everyone praised it as it was spicy n tasty ;-)

    my new addition,
    http://tastytales.blogspot.com/2010/12/ashoka-halwa-moong-dhal-halwa.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing recipe,I kept reading and thought you would probably deep fry these balls,but the fact that they went straight to the soup,makes this so yummy and also healthy with zero amount of frying. I will be trying this very soon:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த பருப்பு உருண்டை குழம்பு....அழகாக தெளிவான படங்கள்...படங்களை காட்டி ஆசையினை கிளப்பிவிட்டிங்க...வாழ்த்துகள்...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow tempting pics. lovely.. Bookmarked.. i tried veg hakka noodles.. it was excellent.thnx a lot sharmi :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a superb post. I have had this in my aunt's place and now your post reminds me of it. Will give it a try soon :)

    Lovely clicks to show the steps. Keep rocking dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..kudos to ur patience for posting a step by step recipe of an authentic kuzhambu dish!...:)..I am sure it will be helpful to many learners!
    Homely looking kuzhambu :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so so delicious and my fav as well... beautiful post on the whole sharmi...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious and healthy recipe.. superb recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard about this a lot but never tasted ..Now i think as you have a very neat and detailed recipe up here, i should give a go soon, Great Job, Sharmilee...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loooove paruppu urundai kuzhambu and the ones my paati and mom make are so soft. My mom always says that I shdn't roll it too tight or it will turn out hard. Yours looks perfect and I'm craving for it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious...I love them with Appalam and any poriyal. My husbands fav too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely clicks, Sharmile. My Mil makes the same way and adds the lentil balls without steaming. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dish looks so good and delicious. Love the beautiful clicks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. new to me looking healthy and delicious
    1st time here tasty recipes
    with nice clicks
    do visit when time permits

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks tempting and delicious....nice click

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, they are sooooooooooooooo tempting. Bookmarking it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful, mum makes them not so often we used to love, def your is different version, loving it...great pictorial steps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We steam the urrundai, i wonder how it stayed intact! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yumm, my all time fav..just love it anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Drooling all over the place after seeing this awesome recipe and clicks.

    Cheers,
    Satrupa

    http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. that sounds like such a comfort food, love it.


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too make the same way except the tomato in the grinding part,I love fennel in this,but sadly no one here likes,so wont add :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so nice. I prepare it the same way you have mentioned. I don't steam the balls. My mom deep fries them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a tempting urundai curry ya!!! Never seen this before...totally new to me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks perfect and delicious....
    nice illustrated clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is new to me, post is very descriptive and elaborate... this is of great help and the recipe looks very delicious ! Will try once.
    I had seen this in the menu of a restaurant we visited recently and had thought about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for dropping by my site .This kulambu is my favorite and is in my drafts .Will be posting it soon but my version is different.Will try yours for a change .

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is new to me...they look so very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. loved the clicks..beautiful step by step pics...yummy recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this poaching technique instead of steaming or deep frying.Looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks so beautiful. These recipes are little gems in the culinary world - rare and for keeps.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks very interesting and good.Nice photos .

    ReplyDelete
  34. They taste different..with a perfect twist in sambar.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice paruppu urundai kuzhambu, looks delicious and nice step by step pics.

    ReplyDelete
  36. love this kuzhambu...thanks for step by step pics!!Delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW super tempting recipe, and must try too. DELICIOUS post :))

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the fact that the balls need not be steamed in this recipe and the pics look delicious. will give it a try this week and let you know how it turned out to be. :)

    Happy Holidays.

    Siri

    ReplyDelete