Sunday, February 28, 2010

Masala Bread Upma

This is a perfect evening snack for a rainy day and the click was on one such rainy day some months back!
Ingredients:
  • Bread - 4 slices chopped into small squares(I used wheat bread, you can use any)
  • Finely chopped onions - from 1 big sized
  • Finely chopped green chillies - 1
  • Tomato - 1/2
  • Hing - a pinch
  • Tomato sauce - 1 tsp
  • Chilli powder - 4 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch
  • Pepper powder - 2 tsp [optional]
  • Salt to taste

To temper:
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Jeera- 1/2 tsp
  • Oil- 2tsp
  • Curry leaves - few

Method:
1.Heat oil in a tawa, add the 'to tamper' ingredients and fry for a min.

2.Add onions and saute it till it becomes light brown, then add green chillies and hing.

3.Add tomatoes, turmeric and chilli powder. Fry till raw smell goes and the spices get mixed well. Add the tomato sauce,salt and mix again.

4.Now add 1/4 cup of water and bring it to a boil.

5.Add the chopped bread and mix till all is combined well.Add pepper powder stir once.Switch off and serve hot!
Masala Bread Upma
Your spicy masala bread upma is ready to be served!
And I am sending this to Mahimas cooking basics event

33 comments:

  1. Wow,super picture Sharmilee,for this picture itself I would try this out tomorrow evening for ajay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favoutrite breakfast!!! Beautiful Click!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy to the core.. looks too good. Lovely clicks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes sharmilee, the pictures are wonderful...for that reason too the dish has become so tempting that one is bound to try it in his/her kitchen any time soon...by the way Happy Holi..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow looks so nice. i love your kadai.. neat presentation. can't wait to see fried rice. colorful a iruku.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely clicks..making me crave for this dish..too good.

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely recipe and beautiful click. we often make this with stale bread but I add more sabzi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use up bread :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful pic Sharmilee...just feel like having from the screen itself...between please do come and check our latest post..which had probs in posting...

    ReplyDelete
  10. usually my first choice for a quick breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Raks : Thanks Raji, sure try panu hope ajay will like it!
    @Mahima : Kadai freeya vanthathu grabbed it frm ammas kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOOOOOW!Wonderful click!!!!

    Tnx a lot 4 visiting my space.u have a lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great way to finish up leftover breads, looks fantastic Sharmi..

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my fav dish...looks so tempting..Beautiful pic too

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is fav bfast at my home!! urs look fabulous! very nice clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks awesome feel like having right away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice clicks..Masala upma sounds easy and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  18. bread upma looks gorgeous in that lovely kadai, gives me ideas for tea time :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful bread upma, planning to make it tonight:) Thanks for this lovely recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of my favorites ! Looks great, lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too make this for my doter but i make less spicy..awesome click and love tha kadai a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks yummy.. nice click too...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the lovely entry!

    ReplyDelete
  24. bread upma looks v yummy n a quicky,thanks 4 the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Eureka!!!! I found it... This is it!!! This is it!!!! I was in a continuous hunt for bread upma, which I finally found.... I am saving it for my future encounter... I love the taste of bread with spices..... that was the reason I was desperate to find one.... Yup! I did.... KUDOS!!!!

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  26. ..came here thru the recipe index...looks so yummyyyyy and going to make it soon..will let you know :)

    ReplyDelete