Monday, October 18, 2010

Puliyogare / Tamarind Rice with Pulikaichal Recipe

I was searching for a traditional puliyogare recipe and I found this one from Raks kitchen while browsing through her site. I should say this is a keeper recipe, I have made pulikachal many times following this recipe and have got tasty puliyogares.


I know Raks kitchen doesnt need any introduction at all....Her stepwise always are a plus which helps to get an idea by seeing the pics at one glance. These days whenever I'm bored I go through her site and I can say I have almost visited all the recipes after 2009 more than twice :) You can also have a look at my kovil puliyodharai recipe.
Puliyogare/Tamarind Rice/ Puli sadham
Apart from a fellow food blogger Raji is one of my close friends this blogging world introduced to me. I dont know how exactly it all started apart from exchanging comments it extended to chatting.We have shared many things right from the daily menu to the next post in blogging.I should say she is the only person who has patiently heard about all my DSLR lectures/doubts. I know what irritates her the most but still dont stop doing it ;) I have always admired her quick cooking, she would just say I m on the way to the kitchen, within few hrs the post will be done and with no doubt an amazing food photographer. She carries herself best with all those difficult festive sweets and snacks. I wish I learn atleast some from her.


Now on to the recipe with my few adjustments : I tell u, the procedure seems to be a bit lengthy but worth every bit of it :)


Ingredients for Pulikachal:
  • Tamarind - 1 big lemon sized
  • Turmeric - a pinch
  • Hing (Perungayam) - a pinch
  • Jaggery/sugar - 2 tsp [Adjust it according to ur preference of sweet taste]
  • Salt - to taste
  • Peanuts - a fist full
To temper:
  • Mustard - 1 tbsp
  • Red chillies - 1
  • Urad dal - 1.5 tbsp
  • Channa dal - 2 tbsp
  • Curry leaves - 8 to 10 leaves
  • Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
To Roast and Grind:
  • Channa dal - 3 tbsp
  • Red chillies - 1
  • Fenugreek seeds - 3/4 tsp
  • Urad dal - 1 tsp
  • Peanuts - 1 tbsp


Puliyogare/Tamarind Rice/ Puli sadham




Method for Pulikachal:
  1. Soak tamarind in warm water for 30mins, then extract tamarind pulp/juice from it. Mash it well with ur hands to extract the juice completely.


  2. Dry roast peanuts till nice aroma comes, remove the skin after it cools down and keep aside.


  3. Now in a kadai add a tsp of oil and roast all the ingredients under 'To roast and grind' (in the same order one by one) to golden brown and powder it. Peel of the skin of peanuts before grinding it.


  4. Heat a wide bottomed kadai with oil and add the ingredients under 'to temper' in the same order.Finally add peanuts and roast until lightly browned.Then add the tamarind juice, turmeric, salt and hing.


  5. Add enough water may be 1 and 1/4 cups(it should be very runny like rasam consistency at this stage) and allow it to boil for 15mins or till the volume gets reduced by half. At this stage add jaggery and 'roast & ground' powder little by little stirring continuously. After the powder is added the mixture starts thickening quickly. Stir continuosuly and allow it to boil for 2-3 mins.


  6. Stir well and when it becomes a thick paste like in the below pic, switch off. Lastly after removing from fire, add the roasted peanuts and mix well. Cool down and store in a clean container.The shelf period of this pulikachal is 15-20 days when refrigerated.


Puliyogare/Tamarind Rice/ Puli sadham
See to it that the consistency should only be semi thick as it gets thickened more after switching off. Add a tsp of oil if needed while mixing it with rice.


To make puliyogare:
  1. Cook rice(basmati or normal rice)with 1:2 ratio(rice:water) - I used normal rice only.


  2. Allow the rice to cool down completely, then add the pulikachal (the quantity depends on your taste - I usually use 2-3 tbsp for 1 cup of rice). Mix well and enjoy ur puliyogare. Add salt only if required.
Puliyogare/Tamarind Rice/ Puli sadham

28 comments:

  1. puliyogare looks sooooo mouth watering dear ...My MIL is expert in this ...she makes the best pihora ...urs reminds me her dish ...

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. very appetizing puliyogare......i have had this during my childhood....

    awesome pictures too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!Very tempting ...perfect clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharmi,

    That looks very tempting..been a while since a made!!You have never visited me!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks flavoursome and tasty! A simple dish like this could go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for nice words and this post :) Glad you liked it...My alllllll time favorite,I can live with puliyogare alone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very tempting puilyodharai, my all time favourite...

    Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well said about Raks, I tasted her puliyogare once,about an year back.
    It really turned out well for you. Nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never tasted this one yet!looks fab!Its so nice of u to have such a nice blogger friend and write about her here.u can share everything common and dont have to kill hubby with what they seem to be boring...LOL....let me go and peep into her blog.....I am sure i have come across her blog...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Shabs : Exactly u read me here...But I've already bugged my hubby talking abt her before this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious Puliyogare sharmi,My fav too...

    ReplyDelete
  12. am drooling over here sharmi, you can't imagine how much i love puliyodharai :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. She does have delicious recipes... :) Puliyodharai looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. perfectly done..I love this tangy-spicy rice..
    I think Raks is a great cook... I really admire her!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love this puli choru.Tried 2-3 times with readymix.But i always love the authentic method.This recipe looks perfect.Will try this def.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mouthwatering Puliyogare... Looks so flavourful and yummmm....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never made puliyodharai from scratch. Its always with premade mixes. Good to know about it. Thanks for sharing. the clicks are tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks really yummy dear.....Nice click too..puliyogre is anytime my favorite rice dear...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks really yummy Sharmi...Love all the pics..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Puliyogare looks very inviting.. That too, the last pic is very nice, with a spoonful of puliyogare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow.. yummy :) I love it with raw onion :) On any day this is our south Indian staple food. :) love it totally :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. MMmmmm i am drooling my very fav one.. i second nithi puliyotharai with raw onion yummy!!! by the way nice picture sharmi.

    ReplyDelete
  23. those are lovely clicks.. really tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Am drooling over your pics, Sharmilee..Puliogare looks absolutely delicious..Will try this recipe soon. Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for informing that you have tried this too...looks very yum your trial too ...and nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  26. It reminds me of a savory Thai rice. This one sounds sour and spicy rice delights.

    ReplyDelete