Thursday, October 28, 2010

Coconut Burfi / Thengai Burfi - A Quick Diwali Sweet !!

Coconut Burfi is my hubbys fav and my MIL is an expert in making this, To me she makes the best burfis - perfect in texture and shape too. As diwali is nearing, I wanted to try this simple and tasty sweet with easy to get ingredients too. This is my first try, And I was warned by my mother many times when I tried to click the consistencies that If I miss the consistency the burfi would either be hard as brick or like halwa....but thank god I got it right :)
Coconut Burfi Recipe



Ingredients:
  • Coconut - 2 cups
  • Sugar - 1 cup
  • Water - 1/2 cup
  • Cashews broken - 1 tbsp
  • Ghee - 2 tsp
  • Cardomom powder - 1/2 tsp [optional]


Coconut Burfi Recipe
Method:
  1. First take wide bottomed pan(non-stick is preffered), add coconut and dry roast it till the moisture leaves and its dry enough, it takes just 3-4 mins taking care not to change the color of the coconut. Keep aside.


  2. Now add lil ghee, roast the broken cashews and keep aside.Now in the same pan, add sugar and water mix well till sugar dissolves completely.


  3. Keep stiring continuosly, cook till a single thick string consistency : If you take a drop between your thumb and index finger you can see a single string forming - thats the right consistency.


  4. Add roasted coconut and remaining ghee at this stage and mix well. Simmer the stove and cook till bubbles ooze out as shown in the pic below: Sorry for the poor lighting, it was a night shot.
  5. Coconut Burfi RecipeAt this stage add cardomom powder, roasted cashews and mix well till it combines well. After 5-8mins after the bubbles ooze out, the mixture would be thick enough and comes off easily from the sides of the pan - Now its right time to turn off.


  6. Immediately transfer to a ghee greased plate and flatten them using a spoon to make the top even. Allow it to cool for 30mins, then mark pieces and store in an airtight container.
Coconut Burfi Recipe


My Notes :
  • While scrapping the coconut take care not to scrap till the brown sides.If you like ur burfi to be very fine then grind the coconut once in mixie, but I prefer the orginal coarse texture so didnt do it. If you want your burfi to be pure snowy white, then roast the coconut just for few mins before the color changes.


  • Testing the sugar syrup is not that difficult, First the sugar syrup becomes very sticky only then single string consistency is reached. If you are a first timer like me check it every now and then till the desired consistency is reached.


  • After the roasted coconut is added and the desired stage is reached act very fast and transfer to the greased plate, else the burfis would become hard.


  • Make sure you cool them completely, before marking pieces else its hard to get perfect squares.


38 comments:

  1. Hi Sharmi,

    Lovely burfi...Love it...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My MIL makes the grinding coconut version,I love that,this too must have a special texture,so must be nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy recipe. I'm gonna try this for diwali as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow comes out perfect,I tried this 2 times but gr8! flop...Will try ur version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love coconut burfi .. its been ages since i have had this i should say ... looks easy .. let me try tooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow perfect burfi..looks easy to make, thanks for the recipe dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey sharmi such a visual treat to eyes n surprise to tummy....happy diwali!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I love thengai burfi sooooooooooo much.. its too much tempting

    ReplyDelete
  9. A delicious sweet for diwali :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my friend was asking for some quick recipe ideas for sweet, I'll definitely suggest her this, looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh lovely.. sapadnum pola iruke. looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nostalgic... Amma used to make this for me..
    Burfi looks very nice and sweet :).
    Surely will try this and let you know.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woww yennaku ippove rendu yedukanam pola irruku, my most fav burfi..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow..i love coconut burfi, you know what sharmi, my diwali recipe is going too be same as yours, i was finishing up with the write up :-P, but the procedure is a bit different...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is such a traditional sweet. I have a coconut sitting in my kitchen maybe I will try your version for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A perfect treat for diwali..looks very festive!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  17. My granny used to make this ...... missing her n missing the delicious burfi. Lovely clicks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love coconut burfi but I have never tried preparing it. Love your clicks, Sharmilee..Burfis look absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. delicious looking burfis sharmi. i too make it almost the similar way,but thanks but normally i fail inthe "making shape" part. U did a great job. came out perfect squares

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like everyone have started their deepavali preparation by making sweets...these coconut burfis looks yummy and delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love coconut burfi...this looks absolutely delicious

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow.. looks so good. Love the click. Though I am not a big fan of coconut, the pics tempt me to make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tats a lovely piece and perfect texture for a first timer.... my mum's is the best... and i really cant get to her perfection..
    Will definitely give her call to make a sweet this yr.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely...this is gonna be one of my diwali sweets this time...Dou hav right measurements for rava pongal...if so do post asap...

    Visit my blog for some cool recipes..jus started 2 days back...

    http://tastytales.blogspot.com/

    thank u

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very well made dear. I make it with milkmaid and comes out fine.
    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Geetha : I dont have rava pongal recipe....have a look at the sweet pongal recipe if you wish to....

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG I'm drooling over. It looks the same like my mom used to make for us. Super Delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely recipe with simple ingredients. We make Naru or Laddus with coconut. Typically around Lakshmi Puja, the Bengali way.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely coconut burfis,just in time for Diwali...looks superb...

    Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh decadent burfi's wish to grab few of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. lovely sweet for diwali...would love to have some...

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks absolutely delicious! I wouldn't have guessed it was your first attempt. I love coconut and am always on the look out for new recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete