Sunday, October 3, 2010

Idly Milagai Podi / Chutney Powder

I am sure everyone is catching up enthiran fever so am I :) But planning to watch it only this month end.....so that we can hear the dialoges and watch the movie peacefully. Am hearing varied reviews of the movie....whatever it is, the only and main powerful element that makes me go to theater to watch the movie is none other than our SUPER STAR Rajinikanth!! Its been a yr since I visted theaters, the last movie I watched onscreen was Abhiyum Nanum. So am excited and thrilled to watch the first movie in theater with mittu :)

And one more news is : Yay!! finally solved the reader update issue after a 2hr struggle and googling. It seems to be a issue in setting in feedburner.
Idly Milagai Podi
Idli podi or podi or thool as we call it, plays a vital role in every south indian homes. Lazy?! no side dish at home, this podi comes to our rescue. I am sure each one has their own version and here is mine.....I have tried different versions of this podi but sticking on to this one since a year.

Ingredients:
  • Urad dal / Ulutham paruppu- 2 cups
  • Channa dal / Kadala Paruppu- 4 tbsp
  • Red chillies - 5 to 6
  • Sesame seeds - 2 tbsp[optional]
  • Grated Coconut - 1 tbsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Hing - a pinch
  • Garlic - 8 to 9 flakes crushed
  • Salt - as required
Idly Milagai Podi
Method:
  1. Dry roast all the ingredients one by one seperately, except salt, hing and garlic till golden brown and keep aside. Let it cool down.

  2. Run the mixie once with cooled ingredients then add raw crushed garlic and salt. Now grind everything to a fine or coarse powder...It depends on ur liking. We like it a bit coarse.

  3. Enjoy this podi with nalennai/gingelly oil spread over idlis or dosas.

NOTE : Garlic should not be roasted, just crushed raw and added to grind at the final stage.As the flavour of garlic catches up in the podi very well if done this way. And the color of the podi purely depends on the chilli variety we use, it will be red if we use the kashmiri chilli the ones I used was normal variety this time, but there is no difference tastewise.
Idly Milagai Podi
I luv idlis with the podis spread on it like the above. If you give an hr or so it tastes so good!! I have tasted MTR, sakthi masala and aachis idly podi but all that was till I tried it on my own. I saw the ingredients on each of them and got my own idea and came out with this flavourful homemade idly milagai podi.

31 comments:

  1. Delicious chutney powder. Lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That podi smeared idli is calling to me. My recipe has a lot more channa dhal and red chillies but i add the garlic raw too.. infact my paati doesn't even peel it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have heard a lot about Milagi podi but never made or ate them. looks so good. I would love to have this with rice, daal and ghee..:)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...Mind blowing clicks and a yummy recipe for Idli podi (Thats what we call in Kerala)..

    Glad that you could solve the posting issue Sharmilee,

    Not even in India, the enthiran fever is also so very well strong here in US too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow delicious powder and lovely pictures ........

    ReplyDelete
  6. We watched endiran on the second day. First movie with my son,a movie after 5 yrs in theatre..delicious milagai podi. adding garlic and coconut is new to me.loved ur clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the robo, in telugu, loved the visual effects. You will surely enjoy watching it.. :)
    Lovely chutney powder... my husband loves idlis.. got to try this one... thnx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have to try the garlic version of this podi,I am sure it would smell great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my hubby's fav .I made the same few days back,without garlic and sesame seeds.will try with garlic next time.Loved ur presentation:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great clicks waiting for your next recipe custard cake....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Irresistible last click, paathathume pasikuthu..Naanum ungala madhri than inth robot fever mundicha pinnadi pakkalam'nu irruken..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowwwwwwwww.. amazing clicks.. looks tempting !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. can i just tell you that its making me want idlis so badly...i love idli posi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful click..I m Drooling!!! yummyyy..i wanna have this with some idly now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Am craving for this right now...yumm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your pictures, Sharmilee..Am drooling over that last picture! We too have an idli podi recipe in our drafts, recipe is different though..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mouth watering Sharmi, idly podi with steaming idlies i can have any numbers...hehe me too waiting to watch enthiran just for Raji :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow i love this podi very much ...ur clicks makes me tempting dear

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sure everyone talks about the movie, didn't decide if i will watch or not depend on my son :)
    I like the ingr which goes on ur podi!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow..this podi looks so tempting & very very yumm...

    Yay...watched endiran...real class...hats off to Endiran team n aish beauty...:)

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah! so you add coconut in podi!!..nice idea for coconut lovers like me! :)

    Tried the bread masala just now and came out very well!! I generally make kothu paratha, semia and at time noodles and pasta with the same base but never once had i thought of applying it with bread cubes!..My son had wanted me to try badly ever since I showed him the bread masala pic in yours :)
    Thanks a LOT for the simple and practical recipe, sharmi! :)
    This is going to be a regular item for my son like the veg french toast!..
    Thanks again!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Bharathy : Super...convey my special thanks to ur son Akshay to have trusted my pic and asking u to try it....ur comment made my day Bharathy! Am glad he liked it :)
    I just luv bread and always want to try many new recipes with it and sometimes experiments click too like this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love idly and podi.. its the best combination in the world :) Nice clicks dear. That small double bowl looks too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. tist time here wonderful space do visit my blog
    santoshbangar.blogspot.com
    tasty chutney powder

    ReplyDelete
  25. delicious recipes. can u post the recipe for CHETTINADU CHILLI GARLIC PODI - CS

    ReplyDelete