Thursday, February 24, 2011

Arisi Paruppu Sadam (Dhal Rice)

This is very quick to fix up for lunch but a very tasty variety rice. This is kongunadu special and my best friend Sowmya used to bring it during our college days and I used to happily finish up half of her lunch during interval itself lending herself my tiffin box for lunch :) I called her up last week to get the recipe and here it is for you....
Arisi Paruppu Sadam (Dhal Rice) Recipe


Ingredients:
  • Rice - 1 cup
  • Thoor Dhal - 1/4 cup
  • Garlic - 4 chopped finely
  • Onion - 1
  • Tomato - 1
  • Mustard - 1/2 tsp
  • Jeera - 1 tsp
  • Red chillies - 2
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Coriander leaves - 1 tsp
  • Ghee - 1 tsp
  • Oil - 3 tsp
  • Water - 2.5 cups
  • Salt - as required


Method :
  1. Soak rice and dhal for 15mins and keep aside.


  2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add mustard seeds and jeera, allow it to crackle. Then add red chillies and curry leaves fry it for 2mins. Now add onions, garlic and saute till lightly browned.


  3. Add tomatoes and saute till raw smell leaves off and is slightly mushy.


  4. Drain water from rice and dhal, add it to the tempered items and fry for 2mins. Now add water,required salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles.


  5. After pressure is released, add ghee, switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.


I love paruppu sadam and this one obviously is my favourite too. Its easy to prepare and kids will like it too.


Arisi Paruppu Sadam (Dhal Rice) Recipe


My Notes :
  • Arisi Paruppu sadam should be slightly mushy but if you like your rice to be seperated then the measurement above will be correct. If you want it mushy then add 2 and 3/4 cups of water.


  • I didnt add tomatoes, you can add them while tempering. This is flavourful inspite of the less ingredients.


Arisi Paruppu Sadam (Dhal Rice) Recipe




50 comments:

  1. it has been around for decades I must say. Made me feel nostalgic when My grandma used to prepare this for us kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks like a better option than simply adding cooked dhall to rice. I have always loved paruppu sadam and guess would love this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really yummy....we make soemthing similar 2 chana dal......nice one pot meal..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dish reminds me good old days at moms place she prepares this n am a big fan..love urs..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made this once before marriage,I remember from MB cookbook,unlike urs,I mashed up the rice :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this rice and an easy one pot meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is new to me...Imagine almost the same ingredients as Sambar Sadam without the sambar!!!
    Looks nice and hearty.

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  8. "kongu Special"... namma ooru saadham... kalakkal sharmi...
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious Sharmi! I have my version on my blog and I am glad to have got the recipe from my friend too. It is a good alternative to the usual biriyani or fried rice on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so good with beautiful clicks... definitely a kid friendly recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rice looks yummy and my H's all time fav....
    kurinjikathambam

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's such a simple and elegant rice. It's a great recipe for days when I'm feeling to lazy to cook ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely rice dish..and nice clicks!!

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dish makes me nostalgic, never fails to make this delicious rice often..

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely blog Sharmily! So many delicious veg recipes....fill my hungry-eyes

    We make this dal-rice dish whenever we come home from travel & want some homemade food but tired to invest time :)

    following you . xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice. sounds easy too.. Waiting for vada pav recipe. i too have one but i dint post becoz of my horrible clicks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just had lunch but this recipe, esp the pics, is making me crave for the paripu sadam..!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Sharmi,

    Super saadham...Love your eye catching clicks!!:)You are a great photographer!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is healthy and definitely delicious. I see it as an alternate to my favorite khichdi!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely rice and all time fav. bowl.

    Hamsamalini Chandrasekaran
    http://indianyummykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very easy n nutritious one pot meal. Loved your clicks :)


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect one pot meal...simple n yummy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Quite a different version of Khichdi ..

    ReplyDelete
  24. ohhh...droooooling here...perfect n tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  25. very yummy and nice one.i make a similar one with split green moong dal.clciks are nice,esp the second one with raw rice and toordal in spoon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brings out the memories of my college days too.. sharing lunch boxes with everyone.. finishing off the best of tiffins by ourselves :P
    the rice looks yummy..
    ammaandbaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't remember tasting this but am sure I'll like this.. must try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Reminds me of school days, where i used to finish up the yummiest lunch in the lot..
    this one looks so simple and yummy.. great one.
    ammaandbaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Arisium parippum sadam roumba super.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Healthy and mouthwatering rice, super yum.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Superb..Loved the second click a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the presentation...nice prep..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Simple yet delicious rice....looks sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. comfort n healthy rice...droooooooling recipe..:D
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  35. now i saw ur fotography write ups,,amzing,,which camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  36. @Nikki: Thanks a lot for ur lovely words...Previously I used Olympus point and shoot camera now recently got a DSLR Nikon D3100 so my recent clicks are with it...:)
    Sure will find some time and write more on food photography...

    ReplyDelete
  37. The rice looks simple yet very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I too make this rice but little different.. my fav one as well..looks absolutely yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. First time here...lovely space and great pics.... following it

    FunWidFud

    ReplyDelete
  40. I saw this recipe in suvai thedi last week.It is very comforting food.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I was planning on making this today and here you go Sharmi..Looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete