Sunday, February 27, 2011

Vada Pav Recipe - Step by Step Included

The first time I had vada pavs was during our college tour to Mumbai as my friend suggested to taste it and I just loved it. This is a famous chat item/street food in Mumbai and after that I didnt get chance to taste it anywhere else. Recently when hubby got these pav buns I didnt have any clue of what to do with it as I didnt have any ingredients required for Pav Bhaji so googled and found this to be interesting from Tarla Dalal site, I modified the measurement a bit and here is the recipe
    Vada Pav Recipe
Vada Pav Recipe

Recipe Source :Tarla Dalal
Makes 4 vada pavs


Ingredients:
  • Pav Buns - 4
  • Red chutney - See recipe below ( 2 tbsp)
  • Green chutney - as required ( 2 tbsp)
For the vadas :
  • Boiled Potatoes - 2 medium sized
  • Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Green chillies - 1/2 tsp chopped finely
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
  • Onion - 1 medium sized chopped finely
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Coriander leaves - 2 tsp
  • Oil - 2 tsp
For Vada outer coating:
  • Besan flour - 1/4 cup
  • Rice flour - 1 tbsp
  • Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt - to taste
  • Baking soda - a pinch
  • Oil - to toast / deep fry
      Vada Pav Recipe
Red Garlic chutney:
  • Coconut - 5 tbsp
  • Red Chillies - 1
  • Garlic - 4 chopped finely
  • Tamarind - 1 tsp
  • Salt - to taste
Dry roast coconut and tamarind till lightly browned. Grind together with all other ingredients. Do not add water its slighly pastey and dry.


Method:
For the vadas:
Heat oil, add mustard seeds and jeera, allow it to crackle. Add green chillies, ginger garlic paste and saute for mins.Add onions and saute till it turns lightly browned. Then add mashed potatoes, turmeric powder, required salt and mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves,mix well and switch off. Allow it to cool and make small balls and keep it ready.

Vada Pav Recipe Step1

For the vada coating
Mix besan flour, rice flour, salt, turmeric, chilli powder, baking soda.Add little water to form a paste like we do for bajjis and bondas.
Vada Pav Recipe Step2

Now take the balls and dip it to the flour paste and deep fry it till golden brown (I didnt deep fry them instead toasted them in a paniyaram pan)

Vada Pav Recipe Step3

For the vada pav assembling:
Take the buns slit it into halves taking care one end is still connected to the other bun.Apply the green chutney on one side , red chutney on another side. Keep the prepared vadas in between as shown and enjoy your vada pavs!
Vada Pav Recipe Step4


This is very famous chat in north india especially Mumbai and Kolkata. If you dont pav buns go ahead with normal buns.
Vada Pav Recipe
My Notes:
  • This sure needs time but when you are ready with the chutneys then making vadas and assembling them as vada pavs is easy.


  • Usually the vadas are nothing but our aloo bondas. The chutney combination and assembling it as vada pav gives a unique taste.


  • I chose to toast in paniyaram pan, instead you can deep fry them as the orginal recipe says.
Vada Pav Recipe


You can make the chutneys ready the before day itself and refrigerate them. The red garlic chutney is fiery hot which makes a apt combination for this vada pav.


Vada Pav Chutneys Recipe

58 comments:

  1. I've tasted this in Bangalore. Looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so chubby and yummy! great job with the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks very tempting and delicious vada pav...wonderful clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm Yummy... My hubby's favorite.. Couldn't find this in shop. Anyway will try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cute vada pavs are looking irresistible... toasting is a good healthier option and very wonderful spell bounding pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this combo i want to have this with green chilly.. superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irresistable vada Pav...Awesome Shots as well
    http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had them recently in hyderabad at a chat bhandar.. I wanted to replicate them at home, thanks for the recipe sharmi..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.... vada pav looks super yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy these wonderful delights regularly in Mumbai,...so never bothered to make them at home....there r n number of ways ppl here eat their vada pav,not just vadas,many other fillings...urs look good dear..!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so gud ..I want to grab those ....wonderful clicks ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharmi,

    I am loving these..pls send me some..

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look so so tempting,I am going to bookmark this to try, I loved the second pic veryvery much,looks very nice and tempting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.. looks so professional :)

    I havent tasted a perfect vadapav so far. The first and last time I tried was in Krishna sweets chaat section and I wasn't happy with the taste at all. Guess that was not the right version.

    Yours looks really nice and yummy. Got to try it out all by myself to taste a good version of it :) or got to simply visit your place sometime :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am waiting for this yummy recipe.great clicks and nice recipe.Will try this soon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both the vadapav and the clicks look awesome..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now who can resist these tempting & perfect vada pavs???!!!! SUPERB CLICKS!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never tasted vada pav...Can't resist to see the kissan sauce and this pav...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drooling here..irrestible vada pav's:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The vada pav looks brilliant and yummy. Very well presented and shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very addictive and irresistible vada pavs...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Something I got addicted to during my stay in Pune, Thanks for such a lovely recipe, Need to try it as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow..they look PICTURE PERFECT!! Loved that you shallow fried the vadas..

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks super delicious and irresistible,love your clicks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wowo wish i could grab one, looks so so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all chaat items.. looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely clicks. Love vada paav the amazing street food made famous in Mumbai!

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  28. fabulous looking vada pav
    looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oo oo oo Great vada pav, i am gonna try these soon, this is my fav fav..Well done sharmi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Irresistible clicks Sharmi.. Trying to learn photograpgy from ur tips..but not getting it..Ur's look AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had vada pav when I was in mumbai and loved it.. Now i can give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  32. Excellent... wow.. drooling over the pics.. it luks so perfect and yummm
    ammaandbaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is completely irresistible...I want some now

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow wonderful vada pav and very tempting clicks .......

    ReplyDelete
  35. nice pics..looks so perfect n yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Delicious ..... Drooolllzzz !!

    Cheers,
    Satrupa

    http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. awesome pictures! Wish I could get such pav here.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've never been to Mumbai.I've made up my mind that whenever I am in Mumbai,the only thing I am going to eat on the first day would be vada pav,vada pav and some more vada pav.Love your pics..makes me want to grab it from the monitor!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ah, so lovely! This is my favorite street food. The colors are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow!!looks mouth watering..feeling hungry now!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Was waiting for this post.. Loved the clicks very much,i too tried tarla dalal recipe .. It was very nice. Now i got an idea of how to click vada pav. will try soon & post in my blog..:) thanks sharmi..

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love vada pav, our Indian burger :) and we often make here for potluck.. I am super tempted sharmi. One more thing is it will be nice if somebody make this for us instead of making ourselves :)hope u make this for me when I come to coimbatore this time. Sharmi pictures are super clear and love all the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  43. @Pavithra: Exactly Pavithra yarachum pani kudutha nala than irukum as it involves lot of teeny teeny works...Sure vanga panita pochu :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Bookmarked....was thinking to try this from long dear...with this recipe i will go on...love the bright and tempting clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Perfect for evening snack sharmi! love the way u made it in tawa rather than frying!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am drooling over it, love your pics and presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, chutneys and the pav looks super super delicious..very inviting..

    Aaha Oho

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi, first time here.. love ur recipes and clicks.. love the way u made a very simple vada pav look so special.. following u, ur 200th follower!! :D

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  49. TH is a big time vada pav fan - and his favorite part is the garlic chutney! Yours look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  50. vadapav looks irrestible,nice re3cipe..

    ReplyDelete
  51. vada pav, a healthy Indian Snacks. looks yum and enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Looks good, I am going to try it this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. @Anon : Sure do try and let me know the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am gonna try this soon :) and my hubby will love this :D

    ReplyDelete