Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Vendakai Mor Kuzhambu / Okra Buttermilk Curry

I know most of us have our own version of more kuzhambu, and here is mine which I learnt from my mother. I wanted to have it in my site for future reference so thought to share it here. I like this curry anytime, its quick and tasty with rice.
Vendakai Mor Kuzhambu Recipe


Ingredients:
  • Sour curd - 1 cup
  • Okra - 4 to 5 chopped into 1 inch pieces
  • Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
  • Salt As needed
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Oil - 1 tsp
To Roast and powder:
  • Urud dal - 1/2 tsp
  • Channa Dhal - 1 tbsp
  • Red chillies - 1/2
  • Coconut - 1.5 tbsp
To Temper:
  • Mustard -1 tsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Red Chillies - 1/2
  • Oil - 1/2 tsp
Method:
  1. Heat a tsp of oil in a kadai and saute okras till the stickiness is gone. Sprinkle little water and cook the okras until slightly soft. Dont make it soggy.


  2. Dry roast the ingredients under 'to roast' till golden brown and grind it to a semi coarse powder.


  3. Now add the powder, salt and turmeric powder to sour curd and beat it well. Heat this, add cooked okras. Allow it until the mixture boils and is frothy. Switch off and transfer to serving bowl.


  4. Now add 1/2 tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies allow it to temper then transfer to the curd and mix well. Serve with hot rice.




Vendakai Mor Kuzhambu Recipe
Even methu vadai can be added to this kuzhambu, we call it vadai kuzhambu :) It tastes divine when the vadais are nicely dunk in the curry.


My Notes:
  • The pale yellow color comes only after the curry boils so dont add more turmeric powder than the mentioned quantity.Also adjust red chillies according to your spice level.


  • You can add any cooked vegetable of your choice : Chow chow, Sepankizhangu or even methu vadai.
Vendakai Mor Kuzhambu Recipe


27 comments:

  1. Mor kozhambu is one of my most favorite and I used to mix it with rice and eat it with raw onions :) I'm drooling :)And okra in it is for sure yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mor kozhambu looks yummyyyy...Perfect with hot rice nd pickle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okra mor kuzhambu is my favorite,long time since I made mor kuzhambu,have to make weekends... :) Your grinding part is different,have to try,mine has no roasting part...

    ReplyDelete
  4. my husband's favourite..we love to add the vadai in the curry.lovely clicks....

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love any type of morkulambu...so tasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am kinda craving for khadi for some days and wanted to try this for long ...will try this ...looks so perfect with rice ..looks so gud

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your version is really different. would like to try it out. Arun just loves mor kulambu and keep son pestering me for it. will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More Kuzambhu is my Fav!!!! Looks Great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so yummy, makes me feel hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks soo inviting..especially the last click..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its has been ages i had them, just drooling here..have to make some morkuzhambu soon..

    ReplyDelete
  12. very new and yummy morkozhambhu .The way u make is totally new to me and the tip which u have given to get the colur is really useful for beginners.Becoz, initally when i started cooking i was so confused that why i didnt get the colour

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love morkuzhambu... infact we had it dinner just last night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buttermilk curry....that's a great idea. This looks irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks very good can u pass me that plate now! :))

    Smitha
    http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. MOr kuzhambu has always been my fav gravy for rice and i love to add diff veggies, this is no different, Such lovely colors its got, green and yellow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Craving for it,looks so delicious and perfect,love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vendkka moru curry looks delicious, I too make when i get fresh okra.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so comforting....I have this for lunch today..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Slurp…delicious n very appetizing:)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this mor kuzhambu...Ur version is simply superb...

    ReplyDelete
  22. So appetizing. Delicious and superb click.

    Indian Recipe corner @
    http://indianyummykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow this is my fav mor kulambu particularly with vendakkai... Love the picture and i am seriously tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The ground masala is different - i love moor kuzhambu at anytime! Delicious pict!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love ur version of mor kozhambu. Bhindi is our all time favorite, so this one is a sure hit will all at home!

    ReplyDelete