Thursday, February 10, 2011

Instant Oats Dosa | Oats Breakfast Recipes

I love rava dosa and that was the main reason I tried oats dosa in that style. I still am not very confident in making rava dosa because of the spreading method so was skeptical about this oats dosa but to my surprise, it came out very well after trying with 2-3 dosas and obviously meet my expectation. So now I can confidently try rava dosa :)


Though this click is not so good, it is always special to me as it was my first foodie click from my new DSLR :)
Instant Oats Dosa Recipe


Ingredients:
  • Oats - 1 cup
  • Rice flour - 1/4 cup
  • Rava -1/4 cup
  • Jeera - 1 tsp
  • Onion - 1 chopped finely
  • Pepper powder - a pinch [optional] - If you are omitting this add 1 finely chopped green chillies
  • Oil - as required
  • Salt - to taste
  • Water - as required
Method:
  1. Dry roast oats for 2 mins and powder it finely.Transfer to mixing bowl.


  2. Add rice flour, rava, jeera, onion, pepper powder, salt and mix well. Add water and make a thin batter like rava dosa batter.


  3. Heat the dosa tawa, take one laddle of batter and drizzle it from the corners and finishing off in the middle like we do for rava dosas. There will be holes seen as in the pic.



  4. Drizzle oil, allow it cook till golden brown and turn over to other side, leave it for 2 seconds then transfer to the serving plate. Enjoy ur crispy oats dosa hot.




Instant Oats Dosa Recipe


After 2 trials I adjusted and made the oats dosa close to the style of rava dosa. The result was crispy dosas do try it out for yourself. Since the day I tried this oats dosa, its regular on our menu atleast once a weekm it is sure a better alternative to the usual oats porridge.


Serve with idli podi or any spicy chutney. I like it with idly podi and molaga chutney.


My Notes:
  • Just drizzle only a thin layer of the batter dont spread it , else you will not get crispy dosas.


  • I like pepper flavour in this, if you omit pepper, then add finely chopped green chillies to the batter.


  • You can dry roast oats, powder it and store it in advance so that its very helpful during our morning hurry burries.
Instant Oats Dosa Recipe

43 comments:

  1. Nice looking dosa,I am so lazy to powder,just add it as such :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely nice recipe that plate looks so inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks real nice..I love rava dosa too :) ...I was just thinking today of oats dosa and here you posted :) ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too make the same way with little additions. willl post it soon. awesome clicks as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dosa and ckicks.... yummy yummy..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  6. the dosa looks perfect!...
    lovely click too!
    Smitha
    http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oats dosa looks and sounds great. I love dthe clicks too Sharmi...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect looking dosas and its really not like a first try :)I am sure these dosas would be really soft, delicate and yummy to eat :) will try it out next.

    Lovely click :) congrats on getting a DSLR ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All those holes and lightness reminds me of neer dosa.. I love them. This will be a healthier version and the lightness quite encourages me to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oats dosa.. Different one and easy to make..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great way of adding oats, rava dosai is my favorite too, and the crunchy ends are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Instant oats dosa with chutney and milagai podi looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crispy oats dosa looks damn irresistible,inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharmi spelling mistake..sorry.. Picture superthaan sharmi..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice one sharmi..hey picture superathaan irukky sharmi..keep going. Love that specific green color very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and healthy dosa :)
    Dosa looks so perfect... congrats on ur new DSLR :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have my version on my blog too Sharmi and you are right Rawa dosai is tricky especially the first two. It gets better as we start making them. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. healthy and delicious dosa...awesome recipe..loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. மிகவும் அருமையான சத்தான காலை நேர சிற்றுண்டி..அருமை...

    ReplyDelete
  20. even i am also not good in making rava dosa.Let me give this a try soon .I bought a big box of oats yesterday.very healthy one

    ReplyDelete
  21. This makes a healthy & tasty breakfast!!! Good one sharmi..
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  22. Quick easy and healthy..what else you want for a breakfast recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Healthy n tasty dosa..Am drooling over the second pic..Lovely clicks, Sharmi!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so yummy, makes me feel hungry.


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  25. Healthy and yummy dosas. Sure gonna try.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love rava dosa- this one came out lacy and crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Its always a pleasure to visit ur blog Sharmilee n u know why?? 'cos u always surprise me with your recipes n I go, "huh, that's a smart one!" :-)
    Love this recipe and wud be perfect for the li'l picky eater at my house! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. healthy quick and delicious lovely picture

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is wonderful use of oats! One of my absolute favorite is Rava dosa and I make it quite often - will make this recipe the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. vijaya said
    wow i like oats dosa and idli its very healt

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sharmee.tried these tody..but did not come crispy like urs-more like wheat dosa..shoudl I have added some baking powder/soda for some fermentation?

    Thanks
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Sonia: There is no need for baking powder n soda in this recipe. The trick to get crispy dosas is to to pour starting from the corners and dont spread the dosa like we do for normal dosa. The thinner u pour the crispier ur dosa will be...U've have to drizzle the batter as we make for rava dosas

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sharmee i usually dont write reviews but am doing it now,i tried the dosa it was so good,i also tried your cauliflower kurma for a potluck and it got so many compliments!looking forward to try many of your recipies!

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Anu : Wow thats nice to hear....am so glad that all liked it :))

    ReplyDelete