Thursday, March 3, 2011

Aloo Paratha

I tried Aloo paratha only recently, all these days I felt it was hard enough to make. And with stuffing inside I thought I would surely mess it up. But finally had the guts to try it out and now am confident enough to make it again.I didnt intend to click stepwise this time , and when I was editing found that it was partial stepwise :)
Aloo Paratha Recipe


Ingredients:
For the chapathi dough :
  • Wheat flour - 1 cup
  • Oil - 1 tblsp
  • Milk - 1 tbsp
  • Salt - as required
  • Water - as required
For the Aloo filling :
  • Potatoes - 2 large
  • Coriander leaves -2 tblsp
  • Turmeric powder - a generus pinch
  • Jeera - 1.5 tsp
  • Green chillies -2 (or) Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Salt - as required




Aloo Paratha Recipe
Method:
1. First mix all the above under 'for the chapathi dough' and knead it to a soft non-sticky dough as how we make for chapathis. Keep aside for 30mins.


2. Pressure cook the potatoes until soft and mash it well without any lumps. Mix all the ingredients under for 'aloo filling' together and make small lemon sized balls and make it ready.


3. Now divide the chapathi dough into equal parts and roll into smooth balls bigger than the aloo balls. Flour the surface and roll the chappathi dough slightly thicker.


4. Then place the aloo ball in the center and gather the dough from all sides sealing it finely.


Aloo Paratha Recipe


4. Now again flatten it slightly with your palms and then start rolling gently. Roll it without the filling oozing out - I tell you it comes by practise :)


5. Heat a dosa tawa , transfer the aloo parathas, drizzle little oil and cook on both sides. Enjoy your aloo parathas, I served them with pickle raita.


Aloo Paratha Recipe




I make my parathas a bit thicker, Roll it thin or slightly thick as per your liking. It goes well with any curd based raita either onion raita or pickle raita. Pickle raita is handy and easy to make so I always stick with it.


Aloo Paratha Recipe


42 comments:

  1. Sharmi, the clicks are awesome. the final ball looks like packing a good punch. so Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple yet wonderful recipe.Love ur version and beautiful clicks.Tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an eternal favourite of mine!!! Loved the way you have photographed the parathas. SLURP :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely paratha. My version usually has chilly powder and garam masala instead of turmeric and green chillies.

    Aloo paratha is for sure one of my most favorite dishes for dinner :) You are tempting me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats really beautiful lady... u made my mouth water with the clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy paratha ..who can say no to aloo paratha..atleast I can't :)....the platter looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Aloo parathas..:)
    I agree it takes time to make a perfect paratha,but once you know d real technique there is no looking back..u will be happy 2 c d same sized n shaped parathas..:)
    I was in this phase 4 yrs before,now I m very confident abt it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely... very nicely and clicked...
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Parathas look Very Perfect! am waiting for ur egg curry, pic temepts me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful clicked my fav parathas, yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My all time fav n specially for weekend brunch :)

    Cheers,
    Satrupa

    http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...I love the curd pickle mix ,yummy paratha ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow.. i would love to try this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too, never tried making aloo parathas at home though I've tried and enjoyed its taste. Looks like you have mastered the art on your first attempt- wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. perfect parathas....nice tempting pic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sooooo tempting and beautiful da.....perfect paratha....

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, anytime favorite, this looks too soft!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow..they look soooo neat n perfect..a classic n everyone's fav!


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks perfect, they turn out soft too and my daughter loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like you i have never made anykind of stuffed parathas, your look so so good for the first try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delicious yum yum yum parathas and beautiful tempting clicks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice pictures - i too used to think that aloo parathas were a pain to make but once I got the hang of it, I've changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Surely does not look like its your first time - its perfectly professional looking! Love these anytime of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am hungray now :).Delicious parathas..

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look soft and perfect... I love making these...

    ReplyDelete
  26. மிகவும் அருமையாக இருக்கின்றது...எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த பராத்தா...அருமையான தெளிவான படங்கள்...நன்றி...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aloo paratha looks delicious. I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aloo Paratha with curd and pickle--divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sharmi, those flatbread look fabulous. Excellent clicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome clicks, Sharmi..They look so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The parathas looks absolutely perfect and yumm yumm.. love this a lot and I can eat this daily too.. absolutely love ur clicks sharmi.

    ReplyDelete
  32. nice presentation and style and who does not like alu paratha? can have them all day long.

    Soma - www.ecurry.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yummy parathas. I too got the guts to try stuffed parathas recently ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You bet, cant resist Aloo Parathas. There cant be anything more satisfying than this kind of a breakfast! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I tried these yesterday and (although the sides split a little) they were DELICIOUS! Thanks very much for posting this, I am going to explore your other recipes too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. @NewOldFashioned Girl : Thanks for trying and glad to know that you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've bookmarked your recipe. I've always wanted to make things like naan and parathas but always felt it was beyond me. I really appreciate your step by step instructions!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete