Friday, May 27, 2011

Sambar Powder (Sambar podi)

I am sure everyone has their own version of making sambar powder at home. This is from my mothers handwritten book. As I've mentioned already, ammas sambar and biriyani is always a hit among our relatives and friends. So thought I should have her sambar powder recipe with measurements here.


Mittu just loves sambar esp ammas sambar be it for idlys or dosas she would literally drink it with a spoon :) For her sake, sambar is on our menu at least thrice a week.
Sambar Powder Recipe




Homemade Sambar Powder Recipe:


Ingredients:
  • Coriander seeds – 1.5 cups
  • Red chillies – 4 cups
  • Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
  • Toor dal – 1/4 cup
  • Channa dal – 1/4 cup
  • Pepper corns – 1/8 cup
  • Jeera – 1/8 cup
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp
  • Hing(Perungayam) - a generous pinch (optional)


Sambar Powder Recipe


Method:
  1. Dry roast all the ingredients until golden brown separately until it gives a nice aroma.
  2. Allow it to cool completely, dry grind it together to a fine powder.
  3. Cool it down for few mins then store in airtight container.
Homemade Sambar Podi Recipe
My Notes:
  • Adjust red chillies according to your spice level 4cups can be increased to 5 cups if you prefer a little spicy.
  • Adding hing is purely optional but sure enhances the flavor.
Sambar Powder Recipe


32 comments:

  1. Pretty clicks as usual and the jar is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the recipe and the shots. No wonder your mom's Sambar powder is such a hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toor dal and Chana dal is an interesting addition. Sure to try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.. Amazing pictures dear.. love the presentation too.. thanks for sharing !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, awesome recipe & beautiful clicks! Thanks for visiting me & leaving nice comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I am so lazy, I get the MTR sambhar powder or a local brand one. I need to ppush myself to make it at home. Amma's sambhar and powders are the best aren't they?nice pictures. Have a good weekend :-)

    PS: Cannot wait to see the oats appam recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phew! Finally I got a good recipe for home made Sambhar powder, thanks Sharmi! Going to try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice podi,thanks for sharing..wonderful clicks dear..lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the homemade podi too. I make sambhar for my daughter, she loves having with dosai & idli. Amma`s recipes are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember amma making Sambhar powder from scratch during our childhood days.Now of course,with so many good brands of Sambar podi available in the market,she doesn't make it anymore.Love the clicks,esp the jar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. deliciously done sambar powder looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Divya, my mom used to make them from scratch too and my eldest siser does the same too, but i always use shop bought ones, even though nothing can beat home made powders, this looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely color for the sambhar powder!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i get sambar powder from ambika depot shd sure try this nice color...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homemade masalas are unbeatable! A great post with beautiful pictures!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  16. Naanum mittuvum ore katchi, sambar na yennakum Uyir..Needless to say i cant survive with this powder..lovely clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use sambar powder for everyting.. not just sambar... Must try your version sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so babied by my Mom's sambar that I have started making the podi it at home. Just love the way kitchen smells when we roast and grind them. Lovely pics as everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. homemade is really good and fresh .... lovely pictures sharmilee ......

    ReplyDelete
  20. Home made spices are so much better than shop bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the jar, spoon, pictures and of course the sambar podi too. Makes it easy to whip up sambar in a jiffy.

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the recipe...Sambar powder looks super!!

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice version of sambhar powder and beautiful clicks as always

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow...wat lovely presentation....look so rich...hands down sambar is my fav curry....but i have never made the powder at home...would love to give this a try....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely pics...sambar powder tht to home made is always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is new to me. Thanks for sharing the family recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. amazing pictures :) and it looks great i love the color! :)

    Have a great weekend,
    Lucy,

    ReplyDelete
  28. nice click n presentation! nice sambar powder!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic clicks. I just love the second one a lot :) Nice version of sambhar podi too :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. A staple ingredeint in south Indian kitchens. Thanks for sharing your mom's authentic recipe with us -- I'll try it soon!

    ReplyDelete