Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Methi Thepla / Methi Paratha / Methi Roti

I couldnt settle down in one recipe for Methi thepla so referred here and there....the result was this healthy soft rotis! The theplas were very soft, with the spices added in it needs no side dish at all....Perfect for on the go snacky/breakfast.

Most of you have asked so have updated it : The side dish I served is store bought onion pickle
Methi Thepla/Roti
Ingredients:
  • Wheat flour - 1 cup
  • Fresh Methi leaves chopped - 3/4 cup
  • Oil -
    2 tbsp
  • Curd - 2 tbsp
  • Besan flour - 2 tbsp
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds powder
  • Salt to taste
  • Water - as required to knead the dough
Methi Paratha
Method:
  1. Saute the methi leaves for 3mins and keep aside. Sauting the methi leaves avoids bitterness.

  2. In a bowl, mix together methi leaves, salt, coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder. Add in oil,curd, besan flour and mix well till the mixture is oily.Now add in wheat flour and combine well.

  3. Add in required water to knead to a soft dough.The dough should have the consistency similar to a roti dough.Cover and leave aside for 15-30 mins.

  4. After 15 mins, make lemon sized balls and roll into thin rotis. Cook theplas on both sides in medium heat.
    Serve them hot with onion raita/pickle.
Methi Paratha
My Notes:
  • These rotis are very soft, they dont get spoiled soon so ideal for travel. It can be had as such or with any pickle.

  • Sauting the methi leaves avoids bitterness in rotis. You can use buttermilk also instead of curd which makes the rotis even more softer.
Methi Thepla/Roti

34 comments:

  1. Theplas are deliciously Cool, love the red color pickle which you accompanied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, can we store it at room temp for 3-4 days or should it be refrigerated?

    _Dev

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dev : Keep in room temp as refrigerating it might harden the theplas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fantastic rotis, truly healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely..one of my favourite dishes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yumm I love it too.. Love the clicks, as well as the pickle u served.

    Pavithra
    www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. they have been in my to-make list for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks nice,I too love theplas as its too soft and keep gud for long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. perfect theplas...soft, spicy and healthy. love that cabbage leaf bowl. so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks perfect and delicious with that chutney/pickle beside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look perfect and yumm..I'm getting the methi flavor till here

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome, looks very beautiful...nice presentation!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Theplas looks yummy and delicious.Nice click too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks perfect and absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haiii!!! Sharmiee,,first time here dear you got nice blog with nice recipes with nice photography..liked ur roti thepla tasted many times in my north indian frenz house, but i never tried on myself ...good to see looks very easy to cook n good for the health na.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haiiii!!! Sharmilee,, first time here to your blog dear you got nice space with nice recipes with perfect photography.thepla roti is looks delicious n came out perfect...actually send u one comment before this but i didnt got a confirmation so i gave u another comment dear..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect! I have seen methi theplas which have besan added, I like that this is all wheat flour.
    By the way what is that yummy side dish you have there?

    ReplyDelete
  18. methi thepla looks so yummy..great clicks...great to carry when travelling too..

    ReplyDelete
  19. @indosungod : Thanks for reminding I had made it both with besan added and omitting it also.

    Most of u'll are more interested in the side dish than my theplas ah?! Anyways its store bought onion pickle :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. THey look delish..thanx for stopping @ my place!!
    Smitha
    http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi sharmi, I love those theplas, the clicks are so good !!, I keep making them a lot, they look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the color of it! Looks delicious with butter on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful click dear ... Methi thepla looks perfect ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sharmi, the platter looks delicious. Roti looks so perfect and yummy!!! Nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sharmi,

    Methi theplas looks really good. I need to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My mouth is watering now. It's my afternoon tea time and I want this right now. :( I always find hard for fresh methi here.
    The 3rd pic is so tempting. What's that in small dish with thepla? is it any homemade pickle? Pls post recipe for it too if you have. Looks so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Sonia: Oh I've tried it with dried methi leaves once but it wasnt that tasty as fresh ones.Its store bought onion pickle. Will post it when I get to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gayathri,
    I tried this last night. it was a huge hit in my home. My H loved this one. thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Gayathri : Thanks for trying and letting me know...Glad that u liked it!

    ReplyDelete