Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sesame Rice / Ellu Sadam

Hope u'r all having a good busy week....I m here struggling to find a good internet connection. Have almost done a research in all Internet Service Providers in my city. Having heard so many good comments for Airtel I wanted to go ahead with it and the customer care totally disappointed me saying that they cant give the connection due to some cable fault...its already been 2months and I am still running back of them to get my money back. The trust and confidence that I had on airtel is totally gone....So finally found out that the one(BSNL) I have is far better than the others so am sticking with it.

Hmm coming to todays recipe I luv sesame seeds in any form either sweet or savoury. And after reading many health benefits of sesame I never miss them out when I go for my monthly grocery shopping. Bored of the usual variety rice?! try this one for a change and am sure u'l make this often.
Sesame Rice
Ingredients:
1 cup cooked rice

For Tempering:
  • 1 tbsp gingelly oil / nallennai
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
  • 1 tsp urad dal / ulutham paruppu
  • 1 tsp channa dal / kadala paruppu
  • 1 dry red chillies, halved
  • A few curry leaves
For grinding:
  • 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
  • 1 tbsp grated coconut
  • 1 dry red chillies
Method:
  1. Dry roast the sesame seeds, grated coconut till the sesame seeds and coconut turn light brown. Now add red chillies and fry for 2mins.Allow it to cool and grind it to a coarse powder and set aside.

  2. Heat oil add the mustard seeds let it popup, add urad, channa dals, jeera fry till they turn lighly brown.Add curry leaves and red chillies and fry for 2more mins.

  3. Stir in the rice and the grinded powder. Serve with onion raita!
NOTE: Make sure jeera and sesame are not burnt, else it will give a bitter taste.
Sesame Rice
Many of u'll might have known about my win (1st runner up) in Wear ur food competition. I was pretty much excited on the win...thanks to all of those who voted and wished for me, they surely got me through!!

26 comments:

  1. this is new recipe to me ... thanks for sharing ........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sharmi, I know how it would without a good internet connection...My parents are using BSNL and they say it is good..when we were in Chennai, we took Reliance connection and we felt it was much better than anything else...tryout that if possible..

    btw, ellu sadam looks too tempting..congrats on your win..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembering my mom,she adds a bit of pepper.Looks tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice entry.. looks perfect..nice click..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently tasted an ellu saadham i loved .. must try your version and see if it hits the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I forgot to add, Congratulations on your win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats
    The ellu sadam looks so delicious.never tried this recipe yet.sure give a try.
    we like sesame seed..one of my favorite with this sesame is ellunda(sweet sesame seed balls)..i love to eat that .
    first time to ur blog good collection of nice recipes..sure will come back again.whenever get a chance visit our blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the win! The rice got some great nutty flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks awesome..Haven't seen your biscuit pudding before..They look great too :-)
    BSNL had been having some issues lately, and my father complains that he is not able to connect most of the days...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rice looks fantastic, my fav..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sesame rice? it's new to me. I love sesame seeds in any dish. This rice looks like a sago khichadi. :) Nice and creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rice with ellu looks very good, like the use of gingelly oil.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!!!

    Ellu rice looks delicious and very tempting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rice looks too good , and am gonna try this ..

    OMG, my fav chocolate moist cake has won you a contest . Now I love it even more ... Congrats Sharmi...

    ReplyDelete
  15. எள் சாதம் மிக அருமையாக இருக்கு,படமும் சூப்பர்ர்!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Will try this soon....loved it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely rice variation... thanks sharmilee..
    congrats on ur win....
    Whn i read about ur internet connection.. i could imagine ur plight. I had to scream my throat out and fight with Hathway connection and Airtel in KOlkata.. I was nearing my delivery time.. too but I got it sorted out for my parents.. tat gave me a lot of relief

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sesame rice looks wonderful .Beautiful click too.Congrats on your win.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love the mixed variety rice,and this is too gud for health and flavorful one :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. seems pretty similar to my version. i love sesame too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have completely forgotten abt these homely and comforting food theses day..once my in-law is here will ask her to prepare them for me to satisfied my home-sickness:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. ellu sdam looks so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah yummy sadam dear, looks very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete