Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hummus - A healthy bread spread!

Hummus is a healthy bread spread alternate to butter, With channa it tastes gud too....This time wheat bread was not available so had to go with white...whatever hummus was quick and with a additional tag of healthy I just luved it.
Hummus
Ingredients:
  • Chickpeas/Channa - 1/2 cup
  • Garlic - 1 tsp minced
  • Tahini - 4 tbsp [The recipe calls for tahini which I found was sesame paste so I used grinded sesame seeds]
  • Lemon juice - 1/2 tbsp
  • Cumin seeds/ jeera - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt - to taste
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
Method:
  1. Wash and soak channa in water for minimum 8 hours. Then pressure cook channa until soft with sufficient water.


  2. Drain the water and keep aside. Blend boiled channa in mixie until smooth, adding little water .


  3. Now add remaining list of ingredients (except oil) and continue to blend until you get a smooth, creamy paste that is of spreading consistency.


  4. Dont forget to mix the paste with oil before serving!
Hummus
If you feel its too thick then add little of the strained water.I felt mine was too thick while spreading so added water later. I am sure this is a better alternative to butter, the creamy texture with garlic sesame flavour was tasty.


31 comments:

  1. Wow! lovely spread..congrats on your award:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey congrats on your award.

    Hummus spread is new to me but definitely a good alternative for butter..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful click.. I love hummus.. I m yet to post mine......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your blog very much. I appreciate for your wonderful presentation with mouth watering pictures.
    Do drop by http://edivyaraj.blogspot.com when time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shami,

    Hummus looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hummus too, but my family doesn't :(..this looks great

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely hummus...creamy n healthy...you have a great collection of recipes...will be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love hummus,awesome clicks Sharmi..Congrats on ur award..

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorites, looks delicious ! Lovely pictures as usual :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me hummus always tastes like another version of paruppu thogaiyal,never tried as bread spread!

    ReplyDelete
  11. COngrats on ur awards...loved the dish and the snaps as usual r superb...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hummus is an excellent protein rich spread! The pict are drool worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to try this hummus recipe yet. Lovely click! And congrats on award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very big hummus lover.. looks yumm and clicks are so good. And I love flavored one too. Just take a look which I posted.

    http://www.dishesfrommykitchen.com/2009/09/pita-chips-and-hummus-dips3-flavours.html

    Congrats on the award.

    Pavithra
    www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey da , this hummus looks healthily yummy .. Have only heard and seen this in blogs and only in abroad living people's blogs.Never got the guts to try it out here .But you have really given me the courage and explained that alien sesame paste to put my hands on it.

    Good click as well ..

    Hey btw, congrats on ur award dear

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love hummus especially in my pita bread...i make it a bit runny and it's so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. typing again...it seems my comment din't get through.
    the hummus is lovely n so healthy i like it a bit runny and with homemade bread mostly ..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tnx for visitin my blog... nd humus tastes gr8 in falafel... Love it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations for securing first runner up in "Wear your food contest" you deserve it dear.
    Hummus spread looks really good.
    And congrats on your award :-)
    Happy cooking

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hummus is indeed a wonderful and healthy alternative to butter. I would use a lot of tahini though. I like the use of cumin as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very healthy snack and looks tasty too..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for visiting my blog! Yummy hummus here..Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hummus looks perfect. Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your awards!! We love hummus..Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We love hummus at home too.. We dip veggies in it or pita bread. nice idea to use it as a spread for bread... :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a hummus fan ever since our posting at beirut. love it with pita/khuboos bread and grilled chicken. do check out my hummus and falafel recipes too if you are interested in mediteranian cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  27. u can add lime juice while grinding all ingredients. j.k

    ReplyDelete