Monday, August 23, 2010

Kara Pori / Spiced Puffed Rice

Just back from the trip to CBE....had a funfilled week with family, relatives and friends. I was not accessible to net for these days though mobile browsing now and then was a different story ;) Hope all is fine with you as well......Mittu enjoyed the journey and the trip...she was so excited in the train that she didnt sleep half of the night making me take her walks in the train. I wonder how kids easily grab everyones attention.....Be it the lady in the Krishna sweets offering her a sweet and another sweet when said thanks or be it the friends she made in the hotel within the short time :) She was called 'friendly kiddo' by everyone whom she met for the first time....exactly opposite the way I was during my childhood days.....I was a timid and reserved kiddo. May be her dads genes at work :)
Spiced Puffed Rice (Kara Pori) Recipe
Now coming on to the recipe...Kara pori is my fav....esp during the rainy season.

Ingredients:
  • Puffed Rice/Puri - 2 cups
  • Oil - 1 tsp
  • Peanuts - a fistful
  • Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
  • Dry red chillies - 1
  • Curry leaves - a fistful
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Garlic pods - 5 big ones
  • Salt as per taste
Spiced Puffed Rice (Kara Pori) Recipe
Method:
  1. In a wide bottomed pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds let it splutter. Add peanuts & fry on low flame for a 2-3 mins.

  2. Add red chillies, turmeric, red chilli powder, curry leaves, garlic pods all in one go and fry for sometime till garlic turns lght brown.Fry on low heat until groundnuts become crisp.

  3. Add puffed rice, salt and mix well till the puffed rice is mixed well with spices and becomes crispy.

  4. Allow it to cool and store in airtight container.
Spiced Puffed Rice (Kara Pori) Recipe
I am sending this to my own event which is closing this 26th. I am sure everyone wud luv to munch on tea time snacks for this chilli weather so do rush in ur entries soon. And a bunch of thanks for all those who are sending/sent their entries. Hope you remember the logo in which I've used this kara pori picture which is why I skipped the logo here.

25 comments:

  1. I love kara pori,this is very famous in Salem,we BUY and eat and then used to try at home too,here I am not making as only I am the one who eat it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pori...who says no to this simple n yummy snack..I remember seeing this pic in ur blog or in ur FB page before....I am puzzled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have never been without this pori sharmi... always the snack cabinet will have this pori in a box... Wonderful snack....by the way the pictures are awesome dear. Hope u had wonderful time in CBE which is my fav place too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kara pori for that garlic part ..I love kara pori made with coconut oil ,.The aroma of garlic and coconut oil makes me go really weak for this .. indeed a healthy snack !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a perfect snack to munch.. yummy :)

    I will surely want to meet your sweetie pie sometime too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourite snack..Low in calories and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. never tried this version of pori till now though i nhave come across this recipe so many times.looks very nice with ur beautiful clicks

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite...Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wat a great and guilt free snacks to munch..awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks like a perfect evening snack

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite snack when ever i dont have enough time i prepare this ........

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super mixture..Love to have that bowl now..

    ReplyDelete
  13. sharmi...nice for this rainy weather...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's raining here and I would love to have this with a cuppa right away :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kara pori looks delicious. I need to have with my tea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tempting pictures as usual..Love this snack..

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmm i thought of making this today and sending it to u... but u already posted.. will think of something else and see if i can send any item for ur event by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice and my favourite snacks. Looks yummy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A yummy snack! I have never tried to make them myself... Must be even tastier and crunchier!! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this N love the addition of garlic too .. yumm

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy snack,perfect with a cup of tea...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a yummy, wonderful tea-time snack and so easy and quick to make. I would love to eat the garlic flavored pori our neighbors used to make, ours being a no-garlic one, now make my garlic pori:-)Lovely snack and pic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my Fav....how wonderful to know that you are from CBE, am from CBE too...glad to know shall send you an email for a short intro soonish ...excited :)

    ReplyDelete