Sunday, August 29, 2010

Thengai Podi Sadham / Coconut Powder Rice

I think each one has their own version of coconut rice but this thengai podi satham is little different from our usual coconut rice. This recipe was purely on a hear say from a friend and it turned out gud so thought to jot it down before I forget. I am not a big fan of variety rice but still this comes to our rescue when there is less time.Ammas version of coconut rice is on its way on this space so keep watching.
Thenga Podi Sadham / Coconut Powder Rice Recipe
Ingredients:
  • Cooked rice - 2 cups
  • Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
  • Salt - to taste
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
  • Mustard Seeds - 1tsp
  • Hing
  • Dry red chillies - 1
  • Curry leaves - a few
  • Jeera - 2tsp
  • Cashews - 2 broken [optional]
For grinding to a coarse powder
  • Chana dal (Kadala parupu) - 2 tbsp
  • Urad dal (Ulutham parupu) - 1 tbsp
  • Dry red chillies - 1
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Coconut - 1 tbsp
Thenga Podi Sadham / Coconut Powder Rice Recipe
Method:
  1. First dry roast broken cashews in a pan and keep aside.

  2. Then dry roast the ingredients under grinding until the dals and coconut turn lightly browned. Fry till the redchillies turn browned. Grind it to a coarse powder.

  3. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds let it splutter then add curry leaves, jeera and red chilly. Let it fry for a minute or 2 then add coconut and fry till its lightly browned.

  4. Add the grinded powder to this and mix well.Now add the 2 cups of rice and mix well.

  5. Garnish with ghee fried cashews and Serve with raita or chips!
Thenga Podi Sadham / Coconut Powder Rice Recipe

31 comments:

  1. I make the same way,love this a lot! I am sure going to make this week,tempting me so much :) Love the bowl and spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rice looks super delicious,very inviting clicks yummy

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one Sharmi..Love this a lot..Nice cliks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rice looks so delicious and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sharmi
    Thats one super pretty pic. I loved the colour of the bowl.Thengai podi is my comfort food and I used to eat them as such or with idly/dosa/rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love this coconut powder rice..makes me drool..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a big fan of coconut. But this version looks yummy. Will try it for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful recipe and lovely click Sharmilee...And thanks a lot for stopping by my blog and for ur kind words of appreciation....love ur blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing,luks delicious...have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, looks delish..New to me.. will try sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks yummy...loved the addition of spices to it...beautiful click too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow it luks drool worthy nd is totally new to me... I guess i must give a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. tempting n awesome clicks...must have tasted divine too...!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love coconut and this rice looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummylicious...Lovely clicks too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these kind of rice so so much.. as raji said tempting me so much ..me too going to do tomm...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thenga podi sadham looks extremely tempting!! Awesome clicks as usual..

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow nice recipe and lovely pictures ......

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely, simple, yummy dish!
    The last click is killing me!

    http://sinfullyspicy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks delicious and beautifully captured..

    http://aaha-oho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is very new to me..looks delish..beautiful clicks too!!

    http://usmasala.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice one and new to me...Looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always love variety rice as it really does come to the rescue when you are at wits end...at what to prepare for the weekend? I normally do a spread of traditional sambar, kootu, rasam etc on gteh weekends, else its some variety rice...with raitha/ chips, the day is made!!!

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey thats a very tasty recipe..such cute spoon..nice and clean click..droolworthy

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey first time here....wonderful recipes and yummilicious blog :) Do visit my space !!

    Lavanya

    www.lavsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I used to prepare this dish with coconut milk earlier, but I read a diff version here and tried, I love it!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Megha : Thanks for trying, glad to liked it!

    ReplyDelete