Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pudina Pulao / Mint Pulao

If I say Pudina Pulao, my family members wud turn back to run..... not that it tastes that bad but I have made it around 3-4 times in the past 1 month and they are bored of it. It was because that I wasnt satisfied each time with my click I had to repeatedly cook it ;) Not that this pic satisfied me but this was ok among the others. Taste wise no complaints from them...even my lil one likes it when mixed with raita inspite of her being a sambar girl....Yes she loves sambar so much that she wants sambar rice everyday :) I always luv the flavour of puthina either in chutney or thovayal or biriyani. To my mother biriyani is only when u add puthina she wudnt go for biriyani if puthina is missing, I've heard this from my MIL too.
Pudina Pulav/Pulao Recipe
Ingredients:
  • Rice - 1 cup (I used basmati rice)
  • Onion - 1 chopped lengthwise
  • Potato - 1
  • Ginger garlic paste - 3 tsp
  • Cloves - 2
  • Cardamom pod - 1
  • Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
  • Ghee - 1 tbsp
  • Salt to taste
Grind to smooth paste
  • Puthina leaves - 1 bunch (it will come to around 1/2 cup)
  • Coconut - 2 tbsp
  • Tomato - 1/2
  • Green Chillies - 1
Method:
1. Soak the rice in water for 30mins. Drain rice and keep aside.


2. Grind the pudina leaves with the coconut, green chillies and tomatoes to a fine paste.


3. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add cardamom, cloves and cinamom, and saute for about a minute Then add the ginger garlic paste fry for 2mins next add chopped onions and saute until the onions turn light brown.


4. Add the ground paste to the pan and fry till raw smell of tomatos and puthina goes off. Now add potato, required salt and basmati rice and mix well with the masalas and fry for 2-3 mins.


5.Add 1.5 cups of water to the above mixture and pressure cook it for 8-9mins.When the pressure releases gently turn over taking care not to break the rice.You can garnish with ghee fried cashews.


NOTE: I usually use 1:1.5 cups as rice:water ratio when rice is soaked for 30mins.
Pudina Pulav/Pulao Recipe

30 comments:

  1. Lovely rice Sharmilee, good clicks. Like the coconut paste in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woww.. yummy and aromatic pulao.. looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. this looks perfect as a dish and the pic is good too :)

    I like the flavor of mint in my dishes too. Same pinch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful and lovely. I will surely try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. delicious rice ...love the mint flavor....ur rice looks soooo inviting

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha...I liked ur repeated cooking for the photography....Mint pulao looks yumm..I love the flavor of mint..

    ReplyDelete
  7. i too do this especially for the recipe which i posted now(bisibelabath).
    Mint puloa looks very yummy and ur version of adding tomatoes is quite intersting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh,thanks to blogging and your photography mania :P But sure it looks very tempting,the rice grains looks separate and perfectly cooked :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. delicious rice...love the minty flavour

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made the dish repeatedly to get a good click is it:-))?? i do not have much patience or skills when it comes to photography. I make do with whatever looks like the better of my pics and I guess its obvious from the pics on my blog. The rice looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adding coconut is new to me... Yeah sometime when I'm not happy with my click I too repeat the same dish within the same week ;-)
    Delicious and aromatic rice
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pic is the Proof of the recipe. this is my favourite dish! have to try by this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its looks so tempting and nice click....Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its such a comfort food...flavorful and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely rice.I too love the addition of pudhina in food the aroma freshens me..That is a great click Sharmi !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this flavorful rice...yumm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks gals...U all make me feel now the repetition of this rice for the sake of click was worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely rice..Love this recipe, will surely try it sometime..You are so very right, mint (and cilantro) brings out a wonderful flavour in biriyanis..I cant even think of preparing a biriyani without those herbs..

    I tried your ovenroasted chickpeas last week and it tasted really crispy and yummy..Thanks a lot for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you are saying Sharmilee, I try couple of time even more before I can post few recipes. But you have given us a winner recipe.It makes me drool yaar.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pudina rice looks great! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Yummy Team : Thanks Yummy Team for trying out channa roast and letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rice looks very delectable...Tempting color.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow wat a delicious pulao,luks perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wanted to try Mint rice. I had a doubt whether to add tomato or not; i preparred it without tomato. Then I saw internet and added tomato. Thanks to u for the receipe

    Brintha Kuppusamy, Sammamish, Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Brintha: I have used 1/2 tomato, if you want u can use 1 tomato also....Tomato brings a nice flavour to this pulao

    ReplyDelete
  26. i tried this today and it became hit in my office :-) my hubby too liked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. i tried tis recepie came out so well tanku

    ReplyDelete