Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mutter Paneer Masala / Paneer Peas Masala | Side dish for chapati

Mutter Paneer Masala is one recipe which I recently tried and have had a great satisfaction with the taste.There is no proper source for this recipe as I saw this in a TV show then from a book, finally I mixed up these 2 and came up with my version of mutter paneer masala which suits our taste. I always wonder how restaurant gravies alone are so creamy and tasty. Later I found that cream does the magic and gives a richness to the gravy, if you dont have fresh cream alternatively you can use milk too.
Mutter Paneer Masala Recipe




Ingredients:
Serves 3
  • Paneer - 1 cup cubed
  • Peas - 1/2 cup [I used fresh peas]
  • Fresh Cream / Milk - 3 tbsp [I used malai, ie top of milk(paal aadai)]
  • Onion - 1/2 finely chopped
  • Jeera - 1 tsp
  • Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
  • Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Dhaniya powder - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
  • Green chilli - 1 finely chopped
  • Coriander leaves - 1 tsp
  • Kasoori Methi - 1 tsp
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
  • Salt - As needed
Saute and grind to a paste:
  • Onion - 1/2 cut lengthwise
  • Tomatoes - 2 chopped
  • Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
  • Cloves - 1




Paneer Peas Masala Recipe


I am sure you will also be surprised like me with this creamy mutter paneer masala, it is very tasty and sure a better alternative to the usual Paneer Butter Masala




Method:
  1. Pressure cook peas until soft and keep aside. Toast paneer cubes in a dosa tawa and drain in a tissue paper. [I didnt transfer to hot water this time still it was soft].


  2. Heat a pan with a tsp of oil, Saute the ingredients under 'to grind' until onions are browned and tomatoes shrink and its mushy. Cool down and grind to a paste with little water.


  3. Now heat a pan with remaining oil, add jeera let it crackle, then add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute. Then add onions, green chillies and fry till onions turn light brown.


  4. Add the grinded tomato onion paste and mix well. Add chilli, coriander, garam masala, turmeric powder and mix well. When the mixture gets thickened add 1/2 cup water(adjust according to the thickness of the gravy) and mix well. Add required salt, allow it to boil and simmer for 5 mins.


  5. Now the mixture will become thick leaving out oil.At this stage add toasted paneer, cooked peas and mix well till the gravy is coated with paneer and peas. Lastly add milk/cream and give a stir, simmer for 2mins.


  6. Garnish with kasoori methi and coriander leaves.When the gravy is thick and creamy, switch off and serve hot.




Mutter Paneer Masala Recipe


I didnt have fresh cream so used malai(paal aadai) which my mother had saved for making butter. If you are taking malai directly from milk then mash it well then add it to the gravy. The cream gives a nice flavour to the gravy giving it a restaurant taste. You can use milk too replacing cream and it gives a nice flavor too.


This gravy goes well with any dry rice like fried rice/ pulao or even with naan/rotis. After I tried this I prefer this to PB masala. I really regret for not trying this for all these days, and am glad I tried this now atleast :)


Mutter Paneer Masala Recipe

33 comments:

  1. Looks lovely Sharmilee;) .... very inviting..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious it looks, it is also one of my favourite side dishes to go with crisp rotis :) :)

    On a very serious note, I am planning to start cooking, may be in a small way initially.. Let me know how I should go about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. very colorful mattar panneer.......lov ur cicks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so creamy & delicious,I love the soft phulka's on the side. kasoori methi adds a wonderful flavor to this dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The matar paneer looks creamy and yumm .... gr8 with paratha or naan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Shalini : Thats nice to knw. Just start with recipes which involves less ingredients and time, then slowly you can get on from there...You can refer 'In 15mins' & 'Breakfast,Dinner ideas' section in the right side bar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow,some coincidence this is..looks like both of us followed a similar recipe,but with slight changes.Love your pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your version,sounds simple to try,will try ur version soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice way of aking mutter paneer. The addition og pal adai instead of cream sounds nice. will try it next time

    ReplyDelete
  10. its really mouth watering!!...thinking of making it for lunch tdy!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also make it almost similar..looks really yummy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wat a delicious,truly tempting and irresistible peas paneer masala..

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so creamy and deliciously yummy! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed browsing thro' ur posts and glad to follow u :):) Mutter paneer is very creamy and professional looking, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really looking creamy and good :) I havent tried fresh cream in kurma too. Will try making it your way :)

    The first pic is too good. Super tempting one :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Creamy and yummy mutter paneer..perfect and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious, creamy and colorful...
    Colors are so pleasant...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a delightful dish Sharmi..Looks so creamy and perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Muttar paneer dish looks delicious, nice with chapathi

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never made a real Indian dish but often time work with Marsala. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just had these for dinner yesterday with roti... simply yummmooo:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The curry looks creamy and tempting, Sharmi! Love the click.

    Lite Bite

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow creamy delicious and so inviting mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I've never been here before, and I love your virtual kitchen! It all looks so exotic for me!!
    I'll pop in from time to time, I'll learn lots of things!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Carmenpiva :Thanks a lot for ur encouraging words, do come in when u find time

    ReplyDelete
  26. can there be any better combination than roti and matter panner, looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi tried many of your recipe but sorry did not find tome to post a comment.
    This particular one My children loved it so much when I packed for their lunch and also got an award from my second fellow class mates " Your Mom (ME) is the best cook".
    I forced myself free to pass on the award to you since I do not deserve it.

    Thanks a Lot , bye

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Joy : Wow thats a nice compliment and it made my day....Its not only the recipe that matters but in the hands of the cook too so we shall share the credit :)

    ReplyDelete