Thursday, June 9, 2011

Kovil Puliyodharai / Puliyodharai Recipe

I tried this from Akshayapatram long back and since then whenever its puliyogare I go blindly with this recipe as my family loved this version as its very close to kovil puliyodharai. Thank you Priya for such a nice keeper recipe, am glad that I tried this. Once when I brought this to office, my collegues were in praises for me :)


I've already tried a slightly different version of Puliyogare and when I saw this first, I doubted whether adding the roasted powder seperately - will that give such a huge difference because my older version was close to this. But believe me, adding the roasted powder seperately gives a totally nice flavour and sure it tasted differently. Now I have 2 versions I never get bored of Puliyodharai :)
Kovil Puliyodharai Recipe


Kovil Puliyodharai Recipe:
Recipe Reference : Akshayapaatram


Ingredients:
  • Cooked Rice - 2 cups
  • For the pulikaichal:
  • Gingelly Oil (Nallenai) - 3 tbsp
  • Peanuts - a fistful (Skin removed)
  • Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp
  • Channa Dal - 1 tbsp
  • Urad Dal - 1 tsp
  • Dried Red chillies - 2
  • Curry Leaves - few
  • Powdered jaggery - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Hing (Perungayam) - a generous pinch
  • Tamarind - lemon sized ball
  • Salt - to taste


For the powder:
  • Oil - 1 tsp
  • Channa Dal - 1 ½ tbsp
  • Urad dal - 1 tbsp
  • Coriander Seeds - ½ tbsp
  • Dried Red Chillies - 2
  • Fenugreek Seeds(Venthyam) - ½ tsp
  • Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp


Kovil Puliyodharai Recipe
Method:
  1. First add 1/2 cup water to tamarind, let it soak for 15mins.Now squeeze out thick tamarind pulp and keep aside.
  2. Meanwhile heat oil and roast the ingredients 'for the powder' one by one in the same order as above until golden brown.Allow it to cool and powder it to a fine powder. Keep aside.
  3. Heat gingelly oil in a kadai on medium low heat and add the peanuts. Roast until slightly browned. Now add mustard seeds,channa dal, urad dal,curry leaves, red chillies, turmeric powder and hing. Toast until they are browned evenly.Check and add salt.
  4. Now add the tamarind extract and allow it to boil for 10-15mins. Add jaggery and mix well.When oil begins to seperate and the mixture will become at one stage oozing out oil at the edges, at this stage switch off.
  5. Take the cooked rice spread it in a wide bowl, drizzle a tsp of oil on top, add the pulikaichal mix well without mushing up the rice.
  6. Add salt if required. Now add the roasted powder and give a quick stir. Keep covered and allow it to rest atleast for 30mins before you serve.
Kovil Puliyodharai Recipe
My notes:
  • Check the pulikaichal once mixed with rice and then add salt accordingly. This is a sticky puliyodharai version as it is in temples.
  • I just reduced the chillies quantity from the orginal as I felt a bit spicy for our taste buds, otherwise no major change at all. It was perfect.
  • Adding jaggery is optional, I always like that tangy sweet taste in my puliyodharai
  • You can store both the pulikaichal and the roasted powder in fridge and it stays well for about a week. Do not reduce oil if you are planning to store.
  • You can use basmati or normal rice. This time I used normal rice but basmati rice is recommended.
Kovil Puliyodharai Recipe
Usually when I am planning to make puliyogare, I made the roasted powder the before day and refrigerate it. So on the day of making puliyogare, its only the pulikaichal and rice and you r done with your puliyogare in minutes.


Kovil Puliyodharai Recipe

37 comments:

  1. I just loved the way u served...paper wid banana leaf gives the feeling of those parcelled puliyogre...no puliyogre beats the temple style one,I just love it...looks yummm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely inviting, beautifully presented..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm.... mouthwatering!
    Loved that silver bowl.

    Rinku's Kitchen Treats - Kinnathappam Malabar Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks just so perfect ...I really wish to have it :) and pics are so lovely ...gud one Sharmi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pics..Puliyodharai looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The banana leaf adds extra flavor when its packed and I absolutely love it! WIsh I could have some now :) Loved the click with bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those pictures on banana leaf..the rice look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love kovil puliyodharais,they have a special taste and flavour, love that silver bowl..delicious post..

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy...and awesome presentation..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Puliyodharai looks yummy and mouthwatering, nice click and beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks perfect.... I am not a big fan of puliyodharai... But if it is Kovil puliyodharai... I love it! and your look delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks lovely and perfect. Nice presentation. Glad to follow you sharmi. Please visit my blog when time permits.
    http://myexperimentswithfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful color and dish looks so lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow wonderful pictures & looks so tempting and delicious ........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mouthwatering here,lovely pictures dear,looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks awesome dear, I love your silver bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious puliodharai :) I have enjoyed eating them at temples and your presentation of this dish is so authentic :) looks so damn good :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pls pass the parcel to me .. nothing more divine than this n masal vadai..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks liked it is ready to be packed for a trip. Absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. absolutely delicious...awesome rice and clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice puliyodharai!All the photos look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Finger licking delicious n beautiful looking!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am going to try this kovil puliyodharai once I buy gingerly oil.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wonderful pics.. Looks great.. Nice preparation

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome clicks..!!! Puliodharai looks soo inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. lovely clicks and great meal..

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the banana leaf presentation looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow.... This is my fav. Looks very mouthwatering. Mom makes this in the same way. Nice presentation.... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love puliyodhari too .. your presentation looks good. I have posted a version in my blog too.

    Lovely space .. following you.

    Vardhini
    Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
    Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahhh Sharmi, this recipe is full of punch -- I'm drooling from this side of the screen.....wanna grab that cute silver bowl and devour every bite!

    ReplyDelete
  31. the ones given in temples are the best, i adore when my mum makes looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  32. we tooo make in the similar way,but i never tried adding coriander seeds.Flavouful puliyodarai and excellent presentation

    ReplyDelete
  33. God Bless you for this perfect looking kovil puliyodharai!

    ReplyDelete