Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cake Lollipops / Cake Pops (My Way) - Happy Friendship Day!!

Cake pops are balls made out of crumbled cakes , coated with candy melts / chocolate on the outside pricked in a lollipop stick. Ever since I saw the site bakerella......making cakepops were a dream to me. Last week the bug bit me hard that I wanted to try it right away....I know we dont get candy melts here, I didnt even have the lollipop sticks or the cooking chocolate. So let me admit, this is a fool proof method for making cake pops but sure a delicious lollipop :) Now before my cake pops story let me wish all my readers and friends a very happy friendship day!!


Cake Pops Recipe


Friendship day was at its best during college days.....No enough space in the wrist for even bangles.....so much of friendship bands, wishes,cards, gifts and what not?! After I entered into the corporate world, friendship day was just another day except for the wishes through phone calls.....to close friends.


Its been years I've flipped through the greeting cards that I had received. I felt nostalgic while dusting down the bags for taking the cards and bands for this post. It just took me a while to those days.....a short rewind I would say! Will that not be nice if we have a rewind button in life?! :)


Cake Pops Recipe


Now coming back to cake pops : I discussed the idea of making it with my friend who owns a sweet cum bakery shop.....he gave me few tips and suggested to use cooking chocolate...I tried in Nilgiris(the only store I get all my baking items in CBE) but no luck :( But the cashewnut me ;) went ahead with milky bar even after his warning. I made the cake balls as per the instructions, melted the chocolate and dipped the cake balls...then came the disaster the cake balls stuck to it and started crumbling :( Hearing me a bit upset, my friend even said he will courier the cooking chocolate...But being a working mother getting only weekends for the luxury of clicking and making ready for special posts like this......I coudnt accept his offer. Special thanks to him for encouraging me to try again even after this flop. I will surely try the cakepops, the orginal way and post it here :)


Then came the idea of making the cake pops my way!! And all smiles there I went and made the cake pops with the remaining cake balls and clicked it too :) I made a simple frosting and drizzled few edible color beads on the already made cake balls. I used the toothpicks to make it like a lollipop and here is the cakepops in my very own way!! This is the first time I am trying to frost using a nozzle....and was pretty excited to do it.


Cake Lollipops Recipe


As a food blogger I always have had the thought of using mittu for my pics but as a mother its a big NO :) But this time I took few pics with her and I should say she cooperated so well as she was keen on admiring the cake pops and I utilised it completely :)




Cake Lollipops Recipe


Cake Lollipops / Cake Pops Recipe:
This makes 4 cake pops


Ingredients :
For the cake balls :
For the frosting:
  • Butter - 2 tbsp
  • Icing Sugar - 3 tsp
  • Food color - a drop (I used pink)
  • Edible Color beads - 1 tsp




Cake Lollipops Recipe
Method:
  1. First crumble the cake, keep aside. Mix butter and icing sugar and beat well until fluffy. Add the butter sugar mixture to the crumbled cake and mix well. Gather to form small balls. Refrigerate atleast for 2 hours.
  2. Then for the frosting mix butter, sugar and food color. Beat well, fill them in piping cones with a star nozzle and pipe it on the refrigerated cake balls. Just drizzle colored beads. Your cake pops are ready!!
The actual method:
After the cake balls are ready refrigerated, melt the chocolate and dip one end of the stick into the melted chocolate, tap off the excess and insert into the rolled cake balls pricking a little less than half way. Again refrigerate it for 30mins to make it set. You cake pops are ready to be enjoyed!! :)


Cake Lollipops Recipe
My Notes:
  • The cake balls should be as firm as possible says bakerella so refrigerating atleast for an hour is surely recommended.
  • Use cooking chocolate or candy melts for the outer layer.
Cake Lollipops Recipe


Hope you all had a great sunday and a friendship day! See you soon with the next post, till then have a great week ahead!


Cake Lollipops Recipe

58 comments:

  1. Happy friendship day:-) totally agree with u on the cards..friendship bands.. school days was fun!!
    The cake pops looks soo cute..Guess ur little one njoyed it a lot:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is awesome:) glad that your hardwork paid off... your little one looks so cute:) Happy Friendship Day..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy friendship day to you ...nice try ..looks gud

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy friendship day cashewnut ;D Hats off to your effort for making this,this looks cute as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy friendship day dear. Great effort in making those yummy cake balls even when ur first attempt was bad... Nicely done...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute looking pops :) I totally love the way it looks :) Lets call it Indian Cake pops :)

    The clicks with mitu are super cute :) the tiny hands make the pic so special and beautiful.

    I totally admire your effort in making them. Clap clap clap :)

    Happy friendship day to my dear blogger buddy Sharmi :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy friendship day dear.Ur clicks are awesome especially with mitu.sooo niceee and sweet.
    layaa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy friendship day!! This post is just amazing! Loved it! Your little one looks cute and innocent :)
    Great effort Sharmi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely lollipops.. sounds different with cake.. Awesome clicks.. Ur post makes me remember my good old school days..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy friendship day sharmi,very cute lollipops...luks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy friendship day my dear blogger fren...very apt for the occasion..Those cake pops look very delicious n ur daughter's touch 2 it made it extra cute...and thanks for the beautiful link,that site is really gorgeous..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks very yummy :) sharmi just a thought... if u get choco chip...that will also work...not shiny like candy melts..but they stick on to the cake very well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Friendship day.. and a lovely recipe to celebrate as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @RamyaBala : Yes I too thought soo and also was suggested by friends...but chocochipsum kedaikala the baking items were totally out of stock, mothama vithi sathi paniduchu :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy friendship to u too..love the cake pops ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. happy friendship day sharmi.'These cakepops are new to me. looks cute nd delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Friendship day..lovely cake pops..bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been wanting to make this but one o something else come up, i just got last week the book and then also have bought and kept everything, just need time to make them.
    Happy Friendship day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!!

    Happy Friendship Day!!

    A model is getting ready!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The cake pops have come out indeed soo good and cute too... Lovely pics and beautifully arranged!! Happy friendship day to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy friendship day sharmilee...Cake pop luks perfect with cute icings..

    ReplyDelete
  22. i actually dont like candy melts cos they are so so soo sweet..i just dunk them and roll them in different melted choc..white is my fav so far

    ReplyDelete
  23. These r jus great.. Simply tempting.. No doubt ur kid loved them

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your daughter is so cute and i love how she's smacking her lips in one of the pics... :)
    I've liked the idea of cake pops too... yours are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute looking Cake pops, I've also seen bakeralla's blog and this is in my list too,I must say, it's a great attempt with the minimal available ingredients there and the end product sure wow's us

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been fiddling with the idea of making cake pops for a while now. Can't believe that your first one was unsuccessful, especially after seeing how well you have done this one. And hey loved seeing your lil one enjoying the treat--would sure love to see more of her pictures here :)

    Happy friendships day, Sharmi!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy friendship day Sharmilee! I am eager to see your daughter but as you said I am also against putting up my daughters picture on my blog...loved her 2nd pic.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy friendship day Sharmilee. cake pops are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello
    First time at ur blog via food gawker . Loved going thru ur wonderful recipes & lovely pics. I had been making similar veggie Oats idlis since quite a few months (after reading the recipe from a local newspaper of course ) but yesterday I tried ur recipe which was dfntly much more tastier & perfect than the prev recipe I had been using.
    I dnt know how cum i missed ur lovely blog all these blogging years. Following you too .....

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Smita : Thanks for those nice words Smita, am really happy to see the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy friendship day sharmillee...cake r really cute n perfect...as usual nice click!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy friendship day sharmillee...Very nice cake lallipops. Nice pics..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Liked your version of cake pops..This reminds me of the apple cake that you get in Iyengar bakery,CBE. I am going to try this soon. That apple cake is a favorite with my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cute cake pops! Happy Friendship Day to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a sweet post! I love those cute cake pops!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cute, would love to pick one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are bound to be a hit with my kids...just love them

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thats a lovely lollipop.Feel like having a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Cake pops! Lovely! I would love to make these.

    Wishing you a happy friendship day!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Happy Friendship day to you too.. Miss school and college days..
    Loving your cake pops.. looks like a fun food for kids...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy friendship Day to u my dear.. the cake pops look sooooooooo cute with the cutie hands... she must be very excited to see and eat them right... u have done very very cute sharmi.. as always the pictures are class. Love it totally.

    ReplyDelete
  42. very cute one sharmi.Though i am not a lover of chocolate, i like this on seeing ur attactive clcik. Happy friendship day

    ReplyDelete
  43. so cute cake pops dear, u r so innovative dear, cute pics of ur daughter :)..Happy friendship day!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Awww,your daughter looks so cute with those cake pops.You've hit the nail,they look so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. wow great idea dear...am sure ur daughter would hv loved it...bookmarked...

    http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/event-berries-strawberry-desserts.html

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks so much everyone...yes my daughter enjoyed it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. The pics have come wonderful and your daughter looks cute admiring Mom's creation ! Hard work does pay !

    ReplyDelete
  48. Lov ur space and must say ur pops are super cute!
    www.nimisculinaryventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Happy friendship day, sharmee :)
    Pops semma cute :) presentation um cute!!

    he he ramekins thane.. sattile irukkarathuthane appale varum..sharmee atheye pathalum parva lle ;)
    muffins pannavum seri click pannavum seri romba dull a iruhthathu..clicked just 10...dint conc much..not contented with the clicks too, this time..

    innakku nanum paruppu rasam than pannen..your version is a bit similar. vasu like urulai than which I always make..but today i went for Keerai :)
    Paruppu rasam and uruali...Nice comforting combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love the way u clicked them and lil one holding cake-pop is awesome.....i think i missed some posts here....will catch them in sometime....love that carrot soup too...looks delectable and nice presentation too....

    Happy Friendship day belated wishes dear.....

    ReplyDelete
  51. Lovely! These sound fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a awesome looking lollypop:)
    Happy Friendship day belated wishes dear.....

    ReplyDelete
  53. wow sharmi they simply look so delicious ...I am sure Ur kid enjoyed having it....wish I could have some ...lovely link by the way

    ReplyDelete
  54. WOW! They look cute. Great job, Sharmi. Belated friendship day wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  55. These look very nice - like that you did not cover them with icing.

    ReplyDelete
  56. wow, sharmi, you rock girl, to make it with whatever you have, hats off and still make it look delicious and beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. wow what a pretty pic!! very colorful. i have missed so many of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete