Thursday, August 4, 2011

Paruppu Rasam and Potato curry | Easy Lunch Menu

I was planning and preparing to post easy lunch menus and that was when I received 2-3 readers asking for the same.Though most of us are familiar with rasam and potato curry I can admit that I havent made rasam at all after marriage though I started my cooking with rasam. And thanks for the voting, finally rasam and potato curry it is :)


We dont really prefer rasam in our daily meals and it comes to presence only during festive occasions and when guests are there for lunch. But now since mittu needs either sambar or rasam for lunch amma makes rasam on and off. Here is my easy lunch menu for one of those lazy mondays :)
Paruppu Rasam and Potato curry Recipe




Potato Curry Recipe
Ingredients:
  • Potatoes - 3
  • Tomato - 1 finely chopped
  • Onion - 1 finely chopped
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch
  • Chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Sambar powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Garlic paste - 1 tsp
  • Salt - as required
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
To temper
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves - few




Paruppu Rasam and Potato curry Recipe
Method:
  1. Boil potatoes with little salt until soft for 3-4 whistles. Keep aside. Then chop the potatoes into cubes.
  2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds allow it to temper, then add curry leaves allow it to crackle. Add garlic paste saute till slightly browned.
  3. Now add chopped onions and tomatoes saute till tomatoes shrink and raw smell leaves.
  4. Now add the potatoes, saute for a min then add turmeric, chilli powder and sambar powder. Add required salt and mix well.
  5. Cook until nicely roasted it may take 7-10mins then switch off.
Paruppu Rasam and Potato curry Recipe


Paruppu Rasam Recipe:
Ingredients:
  • Toor dhal - 1/4 cup
  • Tamarind - lemon sized ball
  • Green chilli - 1
  • Garlic - 4 flakes
  • Tomato - 1/2
  • Coriander leaves - 2 tsp roughly chopped
  • Salt - as required
To roast and grind:
  • Jeera - 1 tsp
  • Pepper - 1 tsp
Dry roast and grind it to a fine powder


To temper:
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Hing (Perungayam) - a generous pinch


Paruppu Rasam and Potato curry Recipe
Method:
  1. Pressure cook toor dhal in 1/2 cup water until mushy. Mash the dhal with boiled water andkeep aside.
  2. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of hot water and extract tamarind juice, keep aside.
  3. Heat oil in a seperate pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, hing and green chillies followed by tomatoes and crushed garlic.Saute till raw smell of tomatoes leaves.
  4. Now add tamarind extract with little water, allow it to boil till its frothy may be for 5-7mins. Add roasted and grounded jeera pepper powder. Add required salt. Add cooked dhal allow it for another boil, add chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
My Notes:
  • Always add a hint of garlic with potatoes to avoid gastric issues
  • After the dhal is added, dont give more than a single boil.
Paruppu Rasam and Potato curry Recipe


58 comments:

  1. heart n comforting lunch- looks wow !

    ReplyDelete
  2. mouth watering recipes...but i was wondering,when do we add hing in Paruppu Rasam Recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess wat??
    I had similar combo for lunch 2day..potato curry n dal rasam...This is my comfort food n I dont say no to this any day..looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rasam and the curry look so delicious. A perfect comfort meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Monali : I have missed to add it... now updated , thanks for noting down :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. now what i want is just a bowl of white rice..Such a spicy and yummy meal!!! ooooh!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rasam and potato curry- Made for each other,love this combo,an all time family favourite, ur clicks are too tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love potato in curry and this looks so delicious! Can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. atlast u came up with paruppu rasam n potato curry ahh?? both looks so delicious n perfect combo...your clicks are too tempting n also i love the recipes..too good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delcious. Nice clicks.
    First time here you have a nice space. Glad to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple, comforting & a satisfying meal!!! Bookmarked..Totally trust ur recipes :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  12. The most comforting menu :) I wouldn't mind having it throughout the year also :)I like the rasam bowl a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. these look delicious! and such wonderful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect Combo and a comfort meal

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome combo that I would die for... Looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woww. this really is an easy lunch menu.. I should try this out.. I always wonder.. what to make.. :D thanks to you.. Love your pics so much..

    ReplyDelete
  17. flavourfully done we make similar rasam and it one of my favourite
    potatoes look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just need some rice to go with it. Yumm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice combo! For a Andhra home like mine, add a dal besides it and then it would be more perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the clicks and both the recipes look yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  21. yummy sharmi....i love this combo...super pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks superb.. Nice clicks.. Is your mango fever got over?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect Combo and you are right, perfect for lazy days... I love with hot rice.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Sharmi, u have got a wonderful collection of recipes, will definitely try your recipes...BTW Rasam and potato curry is very tempting !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, I am loving these combinations, so yummy and tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely comfort food. My very first try at cooking was with potato varuval, which I prepared along with my friend. An all time favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. My daughter's fav combo,really delicious...loved the tempting clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome combo that I would die for... Looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  29. My favorite comfort food,recently had the same combo from jeyashri and loved it ;) I too add garlic in potato curry now a days for same reason...:) Love the bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a wonderful combo, all time fav.Missed ur"coming up next "this time:(

    ReplyDelete
  31. Best combo. really tempting. love ur rasam bowl :)
    I have seen smaller versions of them for pouring cream. But its very pricey here.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rasam n potato curry is an all time fav ... love it...

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMG ur making me feel hungry now itself.Just love this combo like anything.Absolutely prefect.Nothing can go best than this combo.Both are my very fav one's.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this! Looks amazing, love ur clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. rasam n potato curry wow!!absoulte combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. i jus love to have rasam with rice...lovely combo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Popato curry looks so colorful and awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  38. WWWWOOOWWWWW!!!! excellent combination. They taste so good with hot steam rice. hmmm... drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  39. oh! that potato roast is making me hungry...love this combo anyday..very frequent at our place

    ReplyDelete
  40. oh! that potato curry is making me hungry....love this combo...

    ReplyDelete
  41. My favourite way to have rasam is in a large cup, piping hot during the dreary winter months! I've always bought mine as take-away from our favourite dosa place, but never tried making on my own. This recipe looks simple and delicious, and I'm definitely giving it a go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Both dishes look fantastic. so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Rasam and potatoes... match made in heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  44. sure its a yummy combo, wonderful lunch idea..

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your photos are gorgeous !!! and that potato curry looks lovely also the rasam :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I agree with the comments above.This has to be one of the most simple lunch combos which is an absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Sharmi!

    So good to see my voted recipe is up here :)

    I had Rasam in train some three yrs back, as a soup and loved it so much. I was wondering if rasam is had like curry with steamed rice and the potato curry ( i wonder why this is called curry when its dry item,i'm sure there is a story behind, do share with us) as a side dish?

    Or is there some other way to have this?

    I'm looking forward to prepare this for my parents tomorrow afternoon, please let me how this is best served with.

    Thanks,
    Sw

    ReplyDelete
  48. @Anon : This is not very dry like potato fry so we call it curry :) This is best when served with sambar or rasam mixed with rice. You can roast it a bit more to make it more dry, which is best with any variety rice like coconut, lemon rice or even curd rice....Hope this clarifies!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Both look perfect for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks sharmi! I'll surely try this tomorrow and let you know the results.

    Btw, i love your blog, look forward for your recipes every week :) i'm true fan of your eggless vanilla cake! it totally rocks!! :)

    Regards,
    Sw

    ReplyDelete
  51. My perfect comfort food and the best combination ever. Konjjam appalamnu irrundha, its the best lunch ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Does it taste like the traditional chicken curry? I bet it's suiting to everyone's love on potato. I'm gonna try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This is what I call a comfort food. Love this combo anytime.

    Vardhini
    Checkout my 100th post giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Sharmi,

    It was great, all liked it :)

    Thanks,
    sw

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi Sharmi, I followed both the rasam and potato
    curry recipes and they tasted so good. All your recipes are
    well presented and the photos are a pleasure to the eyes!
    Thanks for posting/sharing your recipes. I stumbled on your
    blog, while googling for poondu kulambu and now I'm hooked!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. @Anonymous : Great to hear that...thanks for such nice words. Keep visiting!

    ReplyDelete