Monday, December 28, 2009

Vazhaipoo Vadai

My first attempt of making these vadais was successful!! :) These are my favorite anytime either as a sidedish for lunch or just having it as a tea time snack.


Vazhaipoo/Plantain Flower Vadai




Vazhaipoo Vadai Recipe
Roughly makes 15 to 20 vadais


Ingredients :
  • Vazhaipoo/Plantain-Flower - 1 medium sized
  • Potukadalai powdered - 4 tbsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1tsp
  • Finely chopped Onion - 1 big sized
  • Chopped coriander leaves - a handful
  • Rice flour - 1 tbsp (optional)
  • Salt - to taste
  • Oil - for deep frying


For grinding:
  • Channa Dhal - 2 to 3 tbsp tbsp
  • Garlic - 4 pearls
  • Ginger - a small piece
  • Sombu(fennel seeds) - 2 tsp


Vazhaipoo/Plantain Flower Vadai
Method:
Clean vazhaipoo and pressure cook for 1 whistle with a cup of water and turmeric powder. Allow it to cool down then grind it to a semi coarse paste. Soak channa dhal for 30mins then grind it with ginger, garlic and fennel seeds to a smooth paste. Spinkle just few drops of water only if needed.


Vazhaipoo/Plantain Flower Vadai


Now in a bowl add chopped onions, coriander leaves, potukadalai powder, rice flour(if you are using, I didnt use it this time but this adds a nice crispness to the vadais) and both the grinded paste as above.Do not add water. Mix well and make small patties / vadai shaped and keep aside.


Vazhaipoo/Plantain Flower Vadai


You can also refrigerate the patties for 10mins to avoid the vadais drinking much oil. Then heat oil in a kadai and deep fry them to golden brown.
Vazhaipoo/Plantain Flower Vadai


My Notes:
  • You can use the same ingredients and method for senaikelangu/yam vadai(only difference is you dont need to pressure cook it, instead you have to saute it before grinding to a paste) to avoid itching.


  • Make sure that the mix is not too dry then your vadais would be hard. Do not add more potukadalai and rice flour than the above mentioned quantity.


Vazhaipoo/Plantain Flower Vadai

15 comments:

  1. Hi Sharmilee,

    I received your entry. Thanks a lot for sending this lovely dish over. Great click too!!!

    Arundhuti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dish dear, please do participate in our home remedies event. Looking forward for your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so perfect,I too make similar way!

    Some times even in deep fry method for me it wont get cooked inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use pottukadalai- yummy:) u make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look perfect and delicious...Hope you had a wonderful X'mas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vadai looks so Great!!

    If you are so Oil conscious, steam the vadai's. but no guarantee of taste:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello sharmilee,

    Mouth watering vadai. It reminds me of a Tamil film Kandukondain kandukondain..... :D
    I just started blogging last month. Do visit my blog when u find time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just coming here from Laayanya and you post the same??..I love these vadas but of course deep fried ..:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. The vadais look fantastic, I am sure they tasted yum !

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice dish, never used plantain flower...

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's my fav. but we never made it at home. my friend used to bring it for lunch... and it tasted heaven. now your post brings back fond memories of school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMg..I used have them almost once a week back in India..memory flash back now and looks very delicious..wish I g=could grab a few :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks terrific. I want to have it for next week's family occasion.

    ReplyDelete