Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cracked Wheat/Udaitha Gothumai Rava Upma

I bought this cracked wheat for the first time and was skeptical how it wud taste for upma. I made this a week back and it was a quick and filling breakfast not compromising on the taste. Having tasted it, now I know this would fill in my grocery list often :)

Cracked Wheat Upma
Ingredients:
  • Cracked wheat rava - 1 cup
  • Water - 3 cups
  • Oil - 2 tbsp
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp [optional]
  • Onion - 1 finely chopped
  • Finely chopped carrot and peas - 1/2 cup
  • Curry leaves - a few
  • Green chillies - 1 sliced thin
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp

NOTE : Cracked wheat / udaitha gothumai rava needs more water than the usual rava. With 3 cups the upma was seperated which is what I liked. If you want it to be a little mashy then add 3.5 cups of water.
Cracked Wheat Upma
Method:
  1. First roast rava in 1 tsp of oil on low flame for 3mins or till you can smell the aroma.Keep aside.

  2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan/pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilli and fry well. After the mustard seeds crackle, add gingergarlic paste, onions and fry well.

  3. Add veggies...Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder and fry till the veggies turn soft. Now add the roasted rava and mix well till all is combined.

  4. Add 3 cups of water exactly and pressure cook it for 5 whistles . Serve hot with sambar / chutney.
Cracked Wheat Upma
I got this yellow bowl long back as I liked the color but not using it much becos of the white glare of light on the bowl. But this time made up my mind to click with this bowl however the light reflects back....not bad isnt it?!

34 comments:

  1. packed with fibre and healthy too . This is our daily dinner better than making rotis in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. my fav breakfast... delicious n healthy recipe.. wonderful clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very healthy !!! Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uppuma looks delicious n healthy food for bfast n for dinner,,,lovely pictures dear,,, thanks for sharing ,take care n keep smiling dear,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a healthy and filling breakfast to enjoy without any guilt...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Upma looks so healthy and delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going gaga over ur presentation dear! Uhhh...pass me some pls! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite! Looks great,cooked perfect and fluffy! I never tried adding Ginger garlic paste,just do like rawa upma :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pics.. I like the cracked wheat upma of yours..I normally use the finer ones..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful click dear..Upma looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats so full of health and nutrition..great clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  12. your click is not bad at all, your Gothumai Rava Upma looks nice in that bowl !!!delicious one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cracked wheat upma looks absolutely delicious and inviting in that yellow bowl. :)
    I always use this coarser variety cracked wheat as a substitute for rice in some dishes. Never tried upma with it. Have to give it a try. I go with fine cracked wheat for upma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this upma..My granny used to make this for us:-)adding garlic is new for me

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember the first time I made cracked wheat upma. I didn't know it needed more water than the regular rava. I closed the container and went somewhere, came back and saw all the water was gone, but the wheat was still hard.
    You have a great collection of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful... click..
    I have never tried cracked wheat upuma.. now on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a whole healthy breakfast! Even idli is good with cracked wheat- I ve posted long back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very healthy and yummy breakfast treat. Hey dear luv yur space here and I have shared this sweet award with you. Please do collect it from my space.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Upma looks tempting, delicious and yummy. Wonderful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bought cracked wheat too But I have barely used it. nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  21. sharmi, if your family loved this too, then nee very lucky , naan appadi kidayathu :-( i love this upma but my hubby doesnt. so, i try to sneak cracked wheat into other dishes ;-) i agree, a very healthy, wholesome breakfast option!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aparna: This happened to me the first time when I cooked too, then I added more water and pressure cooked it again.Have given this recipe only after my experiment :)

    Dershana: Ha ha inga apdi ila, they like it might be they feel its better than the oats for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is my all time favorite...my amma used to make this for me..really healthyu and nutritious one.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear, I am glad to say that I have a chance to share few awards with you. Please collect your awards from my blog. Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Silence Sings : Thanks a lot for those lovely awards...and ur words, I'm honoured! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi sharmilee!
    lovely upma! very different!

    kind regards,
    Poorna.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the nutty and chewy texture of cracked wheat and sometimes use it as a substitute for rice too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hi sharmilee! thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments. Cracked wheat upma looks yummy! i have made it with Broken Brown Rice!!

    ReplyDelete