Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Valakkai Varuval (Roast) / Raw Banana Pepper Chops

Happy Ugadi to all my readers out there! Hope u r having a great week.Am having a bzzz week here inspite of it...am trying not to miss any updates of those wonderful blogs. Have created a fan page in FB for Sharmis Passions if you r interested, do join me here .

Now coming to todays vazhakai chops, I got this recipe from one of my aunts and it was soo tasty with curd rice. Do try it out and see!
Vazhakai Pepper Chops
Ingredients :
  • Raw Banana/Vazhakai - 1
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch
  • Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil - 1tbsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp

Grinding :
  • Coconut - 2tbsp
  • Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
  • Garlic - 4 to 5 pieces
  • Pepper - 2 to 3 tsp

Method:
1.First cut the raw banana lengthwise like finger chips. Half boil it in water(It shudnt be mashy hard enough to get roasted), then marinate it with salt, chilli and turmeric powder, allow it to sit for 15mins.

2.Grind the ingredients under grinding to a fine paste with minimum water.

3.Add oil, then mustard seeds let it splutter. Now add the raw banana and saute it for 3mins . Next add the ground paste, little more salt if needed and fry well till all is combined well.

4.Sprinkle little water and leave it closed for 2mins for the veggie to cooked fully.Open and keep sauting until it is roasted well, it may take another 5mins.Switch off, serve with curd rice!

NOTE:
Dont overboil raw banana as it many tend to shred into pieces while roasting.

Vazhakai Pepper Chops
I dont know why it is called chops....it should be roast actually. Whatever the name be, the flavour of coconut and pepper with the veggie is spicy and flavourful making it a apt combo for curd rice.

35 comments:

  1. Happy Ugadi to you too !! Love anything with raw banana.So I'll love this too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tasted a deep fried version of this which is apparently a chettinad speciality and loved it. Bookmarking this recipe to try since it looks super awesome (and no deep frying :))
    Happy Ugadi

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bengais also eat a lot of raw banana but this one is new. looks lovely will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this sounds so tasty!! I adora raw banana and with freshly powdered pepper it'll taste heavenly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the different flavours used in the chop/roast... delicious:)
    Happy Ugadi to you n your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a new idea I've never heard before, I know we don't have this recipe on Foodista and would love it if you would!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Ugadi to you..I'm not able to see your pics in the post :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Ugadi :)
    Ur pict are not loading :(
    Like the grinding masala which goes in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mum used to do this something similar to this dish! Urs looking yumm too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Ugadi..maybe i should try these for our New Yr..yummy yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. again the snaps are grt...i am not so fond of raw bananas...but my hubby likes very much..will cook this dish for him...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pic..its making me hungry again! this recipe sounds quite novel to me...

    ReplyDelete
  13. the masala is new to me... will try this way. looks too good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful clicks dear...Chops sounds yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vazhakkai chops looks very tempting

    Lovely clicks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so good and I love this wonderful curry .. Fantastic click as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome! i am always lookin for ideas for raw banana :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just came across your blog and I am so glad I did! This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That one looks so delicious, I have never done this way, I must give this a try next time

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spicy subzi, will be perfect with sambhar rice:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. vazhakai chops sounds wonderful, simple and tasty one!!! Happy Ugadi to you & to your family!!! enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never tried vazhakkai with pepper.thaniks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice recipe,I make sometimes like this except ginger and also I wont pre boil,just cook it in kadai ;) Love your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey something new to me..looks so delicious and spicy..slurp slurp..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks delish.. Perfect for sambhar rice..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi ,
    Thanks for dropping by my blog and help me discover yours:-)
    Though we eat raw bananas a lot but this dish is new to me...Looks very spicy and very nice click as well.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mamamia I have plenty of vazhakkais sitting pretty in my fridge and am gonna try this soon...Thanks for sharing such a wonderful dish, sharmee :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. sharmi,i'm doing this nw for dinner!!i'm doing this for the second time....my friends r gonna taste this today..this is our(myself n my hubby)'s fav dish :-)..will post my friend's comment 2morow :-) GN..

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Geethu: Glad to knw that u like it...Sure let me know 2mrw :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi sharmi
    I made it for my family today morning.
    U r true
    the coconut pepper and ginger garlic paste gives a different flavour to otherwise odourless vazhakkai and I made it in coconut oil
    it tasted the best.
    U made my day!!!
    sharmii U r the best
    am gonna try more and more recipes
    Am wondering whether we can substitute the same recipe for yam as well as raw jack fruit
    am sure it would taste the best

    ReplyDelete
  31. @mitha : Thats great to hear mitha, Yam will be a gud option but not sure of raw jackfruit as I havent tried with it..Sure do visit often!

    ReplyDelete