Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Black Channa Gravy / Black Channa Masala

Channa Masala/Gravy is my all time fav with rotis/pooris or even with idly or doas. I dont have any fuss with black or white channa luv both but hubby likes only black for gravies....As its rich in protein and fiber I dont mind when he specifically grabs black channa while shopping.

Now you know another reason why this biriyani was also tried with black channa :) This gravy recipe is from amma and we just luv the taste.....With hot pooris and the gravy with lemony touch the combo is unbeatable!!
Ingredients :
  • Black Channa - 1 cup
  • Cloves - 1
  • Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
  • Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
  • Chilli powder - 2 tsp
  • Garam masla powder/Channa masala powder -1/2 tbsp
  • Onion - 1 medium sized chopped lengthwise
  • Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
  • Tomato - 1/2
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
  • Lemon - 1/2 small size
For grinding
  • Tomato - 1 medium sized
  • Coconut grated -1/2 cup
  • Fennel(Sombu) - 1/2 tsp
Grind the above with little water to a fine thin paste.

Method:
  1. Pressure cook channa with a pinch of turmeric powder (It took 9 whistles for me) and keep aside.

  2. In a kadai, add oil and temper cloves and cinnamon. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 mins...now add onion, half tomato, curry leaves and fry well till onions turn light brown.

  3. Add boiled channa, chilli powder, channa masala/garam masala powder and mix well.

  4. Now add the grinded coconut paste, saute till all is combined. Allow it to boil and switch off when oil seperates. Squeeze lemon juice while serving.
And I am rushing this to My Legume affair event , brainchild of Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook on Mirch Masala

27 comments:

  1. wow...so tempting..seems like i would enter in the snap and gobble all up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great combination with those soft pooris.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks gogeous with puris on side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have never tried Poori channa combo!...usually its poori masal n Channa batura here in my kitchen :)..
    Pooris look so homely!..
    I've bookmarked your yummmmy choc cake down here earlier when I visited...dint comment though! :)...love your version!!

    and abt the wheat pizza base, I liked it better than the normal maida ones...may be it tasted too Indian with ghee..and the tikka toppings coriander and evertyhing complimented to one another!..it was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharmi

    Black chana masala gravy. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love chana curry with puris. you have make it so delish I feel like grabbing the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. woww..superb snap dear..... i agree its a great combo....looks delicious.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this channa and puri combination much...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice click..looks so tempting and delicious...yummy yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. never tried channa masla with black channa.looks yum.I too love the poori channa combo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so delicious Sharmi,and I doubt if he is grabbing this variety or its you for the reason U love brown ;D :D Nice click! I too love this,but H doesnt like,I too love the lemony touch the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so good and fantastic click.. its really eyecatchy and making hungry.. Wonderful meal too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this combination black chana with pooris...Delicious and yummy.
    I'll vote for you dear.....
    Deepa
    http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful clicks dear...Channa masala looks yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect combo..Looks delicious...
    1st time here..You got beautig=ful collection of recipes..
    Gald to follow you....:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's a perfect combination!! channa masala looks delicious, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like both white and black channa a lot. The black ones are normally smaller right? Or is that a different variety?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This black chana is regular in my kitchen but without onion and other spices. I usually make it with Gujarati kadhi, rice and roti. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wooow,,,black chana curry looks delicious and makes me mouthwatering dear,,, i like this one with aapam,,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely curry! made me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Raks : Ila nijamave he only grabs it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Neat blog will wonderful collection !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love black chana ,but usually I end up making it as a side dish for Kerala breakfasts..yet to try it for chole :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. my hubby too prefers this over the kabuli channa. we usually make this as side dish for puttu or other keralite breakfast items. nice picture!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely chana masala, looks fantastic !

    ReplyDelete