Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Instant Oats Idli | Oats Breakfast Recipe with stepwise

I am fond of oats and luv to try different varieties in it. So most of my baking attempts are with it these days and some are successful too :) I tried Usha's instant oats idly/idli and am addicted to the taste I should say....I just modified the quantity and a recipe a bit to suit our taste and the result was soft and tasty idlies. Am sure will make this often as hubby liked it so much. It tastes more like rava idly. I use saffola oats and it works well, even quaker oats is good.
Instant Oats Idly Recipe




Ingredients: [Recipe Updated]
Makes 10 idlies
  • Instant oats - 1 cup (I used quaker oats)
  • Wheat Rava - 1/2 cup (I used wheat rava, you can use white rava also)
  • Curd - 1/2 cup
  • Water - 3/4 or as required
  • Carrot - 1 medium sized grated
  • Mustard Seeds - 2tsp
  • Green chilli - 1 tsp finely chopped
  • Salt - to taste
  • Hing - 1/2 tsp
  • Coriander leaves - 2 tsp finely chopped
  • Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
  • Oil - to grease idli plates


Method:
Dry roast oats for 3 minutes and set aside. Cool it completely then grind it to a fine powder, Dry roast rava till nice aroma rises....it may take 3-4 mins, then set aside. Transfer to mixing bowl.
Instant Oats Idly Recipe

Add a tsp of oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, let it splutter then add grated carrot, green chillies, and coriander leaves. Saute till raw smell of carrot leaves. In the mixing bowl containing oats and rava, add curd, salt, hing, baking soda and sauted carrot with tempering done. Add required water to make a batter consistency of our normal idly batter.
Instant Oats Idly Recipe


Grease the idli plates with little oil. Gently put the batter on idli plates with a laddle. Steam it for 10-12 minutes or until done. Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.

Instant Oats Idly Recipe


The taste is very close to rava idlis with the additonal tag of healthy. Isnt that good to start off the day with a healthy breakfast without compromising on taste?!


Instant Oats Idly Recipe


My notes:
  • The batter will be slightly thick in consistency it will resemble normal idly batter, a little sticky.


  • If you skip the baking soda you will not get the porous texture as in the pics


  • Any other veggie like cabbage can also can be added. If so saute the cabbage like we do for carrots then add it.


  • I've modified the quanity of curd after few trials, so you can enjoy ur tasty and guilt free idlis.


Instant Oats Idly Recipe

55 comments:

  1. healthy and wonderful idly shaemilee... lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well presented sharmi.Just pass me that plate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sharmile,

    Awesome clicks...very tempted to taste one dear.
    You are most welcome to my space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. healthy n delicious rava idli ....looks so soft ...very beautiful recipes ..thanks for sharing

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. new dish to me...sounds vry healthy...the snaps are beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthy and Cute Idlies..Would be a great weekend bfast..Awesome clicks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a very intresting recipe. i would definetly want to try this out.Can you pls clarify if its 2 cups of instant oats as it has been mentioned twice in the ingredient list or is it just a typo error or am i missing out on something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. am a sucker for good rava idlis and make it often. love the addition of oats and gonna make it tomorrow for lunch. just let me know please how many idlis it will make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pic and a healthy breakfast to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely clicks and great idlis Sharmi...

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soft and healthy idlies looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  12. very healthy idli's...luks delicious
    first time here.. u have a lovely space and u have a good collection of recipes.. happy to follow ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow very tempting and healthy idlies...Luks wounderfull.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous : Sorry its a typo...I changed it now.Its just 1 cup of instant oats (I used quaker)

    @Sayantani:For the above mentioned quantity, it makes 8 idlis, have updated it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.....wat a healthy recipe, definitely must try this...looks tempting and yummy. Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pictures!! Thats a really interesting recipe, would love to try it sometime..Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! These look real tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. sharmilee..Oats idli is gettingquit popular in chennai..Thank u for sharing the recipe...Awesome click dear....

    ReplyDelete
  19. it looks very soft & nice clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wowww..this is awesome..i loved the pic..photo is just superb..and i loved that vessel.. :0

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome clicks and recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this recipe of usha's...quite fuss free I should say! Pic is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oats idli, is completely new to me. will try soon and pass this on to my mil too. She is searching for oats recipes.nice click

    ReplyDelete
  24. The clicks are too good sharmi,its very lively in the screen :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am big fan of rava idly, i will try this too for sue soon,my addition would be a dash of ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so glad you tried and liked this Sharmilee! It has turned out just perfect, lovely pictures....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks so soft and perfect.. very healthy recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. sharmilee,
    so healthy and tasty recipe..Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do make rava idlis this way, but never tried adding oats. I like oats a lot and shall definitely try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks delicious, Sharmi! A fine way of making idlies more nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks really soft and good. I will surely give this a try :) but y is it in brown color???

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Nithya : The color depends on the roasting and the rava oats variety.....last time when I made it was light brown......

    ReplyDelete
  33. nice click..looks so perfect and healthy...yummy yumm

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oats a lot around blogs these days... This is a very new one to me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful pictures Sharmi. I had tried this idli long time agao, but did not get the desired results. I will follow your recipe next time around. Loved the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The idlis look perfect.. I have been wanting to try this but I had put off due to some reason or the other.. Iam inspired to try this now!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for your submission to T&T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. can i susbstitue rava with kodhumai rava?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I defintely want recipes from oats, like this.

    what could i possibly replace the yogurt and baking soda with? sorry if this sounds fussy, but would like to omit these, pls help.

    ReplyDelete
  40. @Nimi : I havent tried any other substitutes for curd to replace in oats idli....May be u can try buttermilk or low fat curd which is what I do often. But u can omit soda that doesnt give much difference....Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  41. U have a wonderful blog space Sharmi...I'm here for the 1s time....foodie pics are too gud n luk professional..n Can u plz tell me if we can use Old fashioned oats instead of Instant oats??Will there be any difference in the measurements...
    Thanks In Advance...Do visit my Blog when u have time...

    ---KavyaNaimish
    www.kavyanaimish.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. @Kavya:Thanks for all those lovely words, am very glad to read ur comment :)

    I am not sure of what is old fashioned oats....I used the readily available quaker oats. Sorry cudnt help u as am not aware of the old fashioned oats

    ReplyDelete
  43. @sss: I have finally tried with kothuma rava and updated the recipe too...but make sure to use fine rava or run it once in mixie(just coarsely) if the grains are big

    @Nimi : I've tried to reduce curd and have updated the recipe with stepwise too. Hope its useful!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sharmi this looks perfect for a healthy morning tiffin n i'm going to try this 2morrow.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lovely recipe...
    is it possible to mix and keep in the fridge and use it in the morning...??

    ReplyDelete
  46. @Home of Cupcakes: You can roast oats, powder it and store it and use the next day mrg. Am not sure of using the batter the next day, may be you can try once and see

    ReplyDelete
  47. first time on ur blog..bookmarked now-will try ur recipes and put comments-love the step by step instructions,pics,notes and of course the phots

    ReplyDelete
  48. I made this and put a pic in my facebook yesetrday along with link to ur blog. Already 2 friends made it and send me pics-they all love it.Many more are planning to try it soon. Healthy and tasty is not easy combination to come by:-)Thanks
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  49. @Sonia : Thanks a lot for the nice feedback...It sure made my day. Can you send me the link where u have posted the pic..?

    ReplyDelete
  50. Bookmarked...I love rava idlis and this version amkes it much healthier. Surely makking it!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. We all loved the oats idli..Thanks for the recipe!!
    As oats is not my son's favorite, I said these are rava idlis and he had it 4 of them...and said they are superb..then I revealed that they are oats..So he said, then I love oats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. @Sheeja : Thats really nice to hear...I know how hard it is to make kids eat as they are very picky...Am glad this oats idly made ur son like oats :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi!
    Oats Idli...... wow ! what a nice way to have the otherwise bland oats!! Very good recipe! your blog is very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Sharmi... thnks so much for sharing this. I was so so bored of eating oats with milk and curds. This recipe was such a relief...taste was great.
    Thanks lots..

    ReplyDelete