Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sambar Sadham / Sambar Rice

I dont know from when I had this craving for sambar sadham.......Guess it was when for the first time I tasted sambar sadham from Vasanta Bhavan and I so so liked it. Since then I've been trying many trial and error methods of sambar sadham this is one proof for it ;) And finally here I've succedded with this heartiful comfort sambar rice.


Sambar Sadham




Ingredients:
  • Rice-1 cup
  • Thur dal-1/2 cup
  • Oil-1 tbsp
  • Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
  • Fenugreek Seeds-1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves-a few
  • Hing-a pinch
  • Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
  • Tamarind-small lemon sized ball
  • Sambar Powder-1.5 tbsp
  • Ghee-2 tbsp
  • Coriander leaves- to garnish
  • Water - 5.5 cups
  • Onions (Shallots) - 6 to 8 halved
Vegetables:
  • Carrot - 1 chopped
  • Tomato - 1
  • Peas - 1/4 cup
  • Potato - 1 chopped


Sambar Sadham
Method:
  1. Rinse rice and dhal. Soak them for 15mins in water till its immersed fully. Then drain water and keep aside.Soak tamarind in 2 cups of warm water, keep aside.


  2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds, let it splutter add curry leaves and fenugreek seeds. Fry for 2 mins.


  3. Add onion and tomato saute till tomatos raw smell leaves. Now add all the remaining veggies and saute well, Sprinkle salt,turmeric,sambar powder and hing. Fry for 5mins.Add rice and dhal now.


  4. Extract 2 cups of tamarind water and add it to the veggies. Now add 3.5 cups of water. Close the lid and pressure cook for 6-7 whistles(till rice and dal becomes mushy).


  5. Allow pressure to release, open and garnish with coriander leaves. Drizzle 1 tbsp ghee and mix well. Drizzle the remaining ghee just before serving.
Sambar Sadham
My Notes:
  • I have used 2 cups of tamarind water and 3.5 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and 1/2 cup dal mixture. Dont be doubtful on the 5.5 cups of water it will be perfect as I have made 3-4 trials before I posted it here :) If you dont want too mushy rice then 5 cups is enough.


  • The veggies are purely your choice but dont skip shallots as they tend to give a better taste compared to big onions.


  • I didnt add chilli powder as the sambar powder amma makes has good amount of chilli in it. You can add chilli powder if needed.


  • Also soaking rice and dhal for 15-20mins makes it to get cooked quickly and mushy.Serve hot else it will get thickened soon.
Sambar Sadham


29 comments:

  1. Sambhar rice looks very inviting....Lovely click

    ReplyDelete
  2. never made or tasted this. but looks so hearty and comforting! would love to make it for my home alone lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one pot meal, delicious one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comforting food, looks delicious and wholesome..

    ReplyDelete
  5. sharmi,
    love sambar rice. nice presentation..

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy sambar rice...looks so tasty n tempting ...awesome click n even i too love vasanth bhavan sambar rice n ratna cafe's too(the one which is in central station,chennai)

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly a comforting food..Looks so tempting !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks perfect Sharmi...

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious sambar rice,my favorite one too

    ReplyDelete
  10. its my fav tooo...looks simple and filling..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!The variety of veggies in this makes it all the more delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A perfect output indeed! I make in similar way with few differences,will post soon :) looks appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sambar rice looks very nice and ur version is simple. i ususally add some fresh ground masala to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never tasted this.looks very tempting and delicious.will try one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow... i love this, looks tmepting and super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so tempting. I love sambar sadham....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sharmilee, I'm not sure if u've tried Mrs.Mano's version of sambar sadham from mayyam... Very tasty... Try it once if u've not tried it yet...

    Cheers,
    Dev

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Sharmilee, thanks for stopping by and for your wonderful comments.. i am kind a late to let you know though !!
    The dish looks very flavorful !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never tasted sambar sadham before..It looks tasty!! Tempting pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  20. u hve a very lovely blog...so i m following u...sambar sadam looks toooo perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi
    Now a follower of your recipe for my daily menu.
    going try your sambhar sadam today . I will post you the result tomorrow.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Joy : Thanks a lot 4 ur words!!. Sure do try and let me knw! I am confident abt this recipe as few of my friends have tried and given me positive feedback...now waiting to hear urs :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. No words to explain , It turned out great , My Hubby who is a pure veggie just loved it .
    I did not change anything just the way you posted , it just melted in our throats.

    Greattttttttt.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Joy : Thanks for taking time and letting me knw....Words like these gets me going even during hectic times!

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi sharmilee
    can i use shakti sambar powder for this?
    it would be betterif ur sambar powder recipe is shared for people like me who are out of TN.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Manimalar : Sure I will post the recipe of sambar powder soon...I have also tried with Aachi sambar powder so guess Shakthi sambar powder would be good too....

    ReplyDelete