Friday, April 3, 2009

Dum Aloo / Aloo Dum

I was in search for a quick side dish when googled found this and have updated the recipe here. Baby potatoes are recommeded to be used. I just loved the aroma of curd in the gravy which gave a different taste.
Dum AlooIngredients:
  • Baby potatoes - 10
  • Onion - 1/2
  • Bay leaf - a small piece
  • Cloves - 2
  • Cinnamom - 1/4 inch piece
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
  • Jeera - 1 tsp
  • Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
  • Curd - 1/2 cup
  • Coriander leaves - to garnish
  • Kasuri methi - a pinch (this gives added flavour)
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch
  • Fennel powder (Sombu podi) - 1 tsp
  • Garam masala powder -1/2 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 2 tsp
  • Red chilli powder - 1.5 tsp
  • Tomato puree - from 2 tomatoes
Method:
1. Boil potatoes to 2 whistles, peel of the skin. Prick holes with a fork, fry in a tsp of oil until slightly browned and keep aside.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera, allow it to crackle. Add ginger-garlic paste and onion and saute till raw smell leaves and onions turn light brown.

3. Then add tomato puree, spice powders(turmeric, coriander, fennel, chilli and garam masala powder) and salt. Saute until raw smell of tomatoes leave.Add little water and allow it to boil.

4. Close with a lid and simmer it. I left it for around 5-7mins, sauting now and then.Add, potatoes and cook for 5 more minutes till the gravy blends with the potatoes and the gravy is thick. Add curd and cook not more than 5mins else it will curdle.Mix well.

5. Garnish with coriander leaves, kasuri methi. Serve with Chapathis/Rotis.
Dum Aloo

12 comments:

  1. Looks yum. I use baby red potatoes for this dish, but when I don't them, I just cubed potato like you. Tastes great either way!

    Here is my Mughlai Alu Dum.

    http://foodieshope.blogspot.com/2009/03/mughlai-dum-aloolazeez-kulchetofu.html

    Enjoy, see you on Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe Sharmilee. Just last week I saw a similar post for dum aloo. I have never made these.WOuld love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your dum aloo looks gorgeous... I want to make it again now. thanks for trying dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy yumm!!! looks great!!
    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dum aloo looks so inviting I wanna have a roti with it right away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dum aloo looks yumm and very inviting..Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey what happened to your pbm recipe? i saw it and was drooling over it.. why did u delete the post?

    anyway, i tried to watermark my pics using your technique but couldn't do it. i think i didn't quite understand, may be i will go through your post again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dum aloo looks yumm..I like your version its simple n good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey your PB masala page is nt loading for me..though I could read that post in my reader!I had the same prob with your this post y'day.
    PB masala looks rich and yum..Love the fried paneer pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tried this recipe today and it was wonderful ! Thanks Sharmi..

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Neelima : Thanks for trying and letting me know

    ReplyDelete