Thursday, July 21, 2011

Raw Mango Rice / Maanga Sadam Recipe

I am taking a off tomorrow so my weekend starts from tomorrow itself :) Its a great relief actually as I've planned few pending works to be completed this weekend and now having 3 days in hand I've to utilise it.This time not much on the cooking front for sharmis passions so my drafts should speak for few more weeks :) When I saw this recipe from a tamil magazine I instantly wanted to try, as it looked flavourful and tempting. And it didnt disappoint me at all, yummy tangy rice ready.
Raw Mango Rice / Maangai Satham Recipe




Raw Mango Rice / Maanga Sadam Recipe:


Serves 2


Ingredients:
  • Cooked Rice - 1.5 cups
To be ground to a paste:
  • Raw mango (skin peeled and grated) - 1 cup
  • Coconut - 4 tbsp
  • Red Chillies - 2
To temper:
  • Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
  • Channa dal - 1 tsp
  • Urad dal - 1 tsp
  • Peanuts - 1 tbsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Dry red chillies, broken - 1
  • Hing(Perungayam) - a generous pinch
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch (optional)


Raw Mango Rice / Maanga Sadam Recipe
Method:
  1. First grind the ingredients under 'to grind' without adding water to a slightly coarse paste. Keep aside
  2. Now heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds let it crackle. Now add channa dal , urad dal and turmeric powder, perungayam. When the dals turns slightly browned, now add dry red chillies and peanuts. Roast until the peanuts turn slightly browned.
  3. Now add the ground paste and saute until the moisture leaves. Add salt and keep sauting until it collects to thick pulp when oil oozes out slighlty with a shine in the texture it may take 5-7 mins. This is the correct stage. Switch off.
  4. Take cooked rice and add this paste to it and mix well until it is coated well. Check and add salt only if required. Serve with chips or papad.
Raw Mango Rice RecipeMy Notes:

  • Do not add water while grinding as raw mango will leave water by itself.
  • Grinding it to a smooth or a coarse paste is upto ur choice.
  • Add little water while adding the thooku to the tempered paste to make it a little runny in consistency if you feel difficult to mix it with rice
Raw Mango Rice Recipe

This is sure a easy variety rice which is quick fix for lunch. Potato chips or papad is a nice combination for manga sadam. There are lot of ways this manga sadam can be done but recently I found this recipe suiting to our family taste so this is going to be my keeper :)


Have a nice happening weekend and see you all on Monday.....!




Maanga Sadam Recipe


45 comments:

  1. Yummy.. love raw mangoes in every form possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely the raw mango rice will be tasty.My mom also use to prepare in the mango season.Nice pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have it in one cookbook I have...grinding mango and coconut..we loved it...tangy n yummy rice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tangy and flavorful rice..looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too make it exactly the same way. Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very delicious.. Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe also involves grinding of masala similar to this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you are tempting me!
    lovely clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love raw mango rice too :) tangy and yummy. We make it pretty much the same way except the coconut. Will try adding next time. But if you skip the coconut, you can preserve the thokku for a week and use too I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can have mango rice anytime of the day!! Yours looks so yummy!! Great photography as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this ground paste. I have some raw mango at home, so I might give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just reading the ingridients makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a quick fix for lunch as you said..looks delicious...lovely clicks

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look awesome, should be a great entry to Quick and easy recipes event in my blog. Can you step ahead to make an entry.
    EVent-Quick & Easy Recipes-FBN
    Event-Healthy Snacks-GFR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely rice! I know how yummy this one tastes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice clicks! and it seems like it would taste heavenly!

    Richa @ http://hobbyandmore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely love this tangy yummy rice ~ something I can have on regular basis :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh such a tangy and delish one pot meal !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks fabulous! Lovely presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. the thokku itself looks very lick-able :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this...we make the same wat at home...looks delicious..:) N'joy ur weekend

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely and yummy...nice clicks as always dear..

    ReplyDelete
  22. delicious looking mango rice looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tasted this mango rice at my mil's place...Thanks for sharing the recipe.Loved your ramekins:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so good and tempting ...lovely clicks as always

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummy and tasty rice dear..Ennakku konjam!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love raw mango rice too :) tangy and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved those ramekins and that mango rice looks delicious in them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. deliicous mango rice and love the addition of coconut in that

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have never tried rice prepared this way...it looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Reminds me of home. Thanks for sharing. This is Munir over here at Focus.

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, such a wonderful rice, looks great..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Enjoy your long weekend Sharmi. I understand how it feels to get this break while working. Isn't it good.
    Love the grinding part, looks so yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love mango rice. THis looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Who doesn't like a bit of tang? Not me! I've always wanted to try thing tangy rice and now you are tempting me with your beautiful clicks and styling!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Who doesn't like a bit of tang? Not me! I've always wanted to try thing tangy rice and now you are tempting me with your beautiful clicks and styling!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Mouth started watering as soon as I read the title! The rice looks delightful, Sharmilee.

    ReplyDelete
  37. @Nithi : Sure nithi will try to skip coconut and try when I want to store the thokku for future use, sure a good idea...:) Will try n let u knw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. nice and tangy rice,good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  39. nice click.. looks lovely and the rice texture is awesome..!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you for leaving your lovely comment on my blog, this recipe looks so up my street and totalllyyyy scrumptious, a perfect side dish in its own right. You have a wonderful blog indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is tempting. I never thought of a raw mango in a rice galore. I'm gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete