Sunday, July 3, 2011

Tomato Pasta | Penne Pasta Recipes

I love to try different recipes using pasta, have already tried Pasta in white sauce. Though pasta in white sauce is regular in our menu atleast once a month, this tomato pasta satisfies the craving for a spicy indian flavoured pasta and hubby loves all pasta savoury recipes so the experiment continues.....:)



Tomato Penne Pasta Recipe


Ingredients:
  • Pasta - 1.5 cups
  • Onion - 1/2 chopped finely
  • Pasta sauce - 1 tbsp
  • Tomato Sauce - 1 tbsp
  • Olive oil - 1 tbsp
  • Cheese - 1 tbsp grated
  • Pepper - 1/2 tsp (optional)
To grind:
  • Tomato - 1 big sized
  • Onion - 1/2
  • Red Chillies - 2
  • Garlic - 4 flakes


Tomato Pasta Recipe
Method:
  1. Grind the ingredients under 'to grind' to a fine paste and keep aside.
  2. Bring a saucepan of water with salt to boil, then add the pasta and a tsp of oil. Cook for 10mins or until the pasta is soft yet firm enough to bite. Strain water and keep aside.
  3. Heat oil in a pan, then add the onions fry until slightly browned. Then add the grinded paste and fry for 5mins until raw smell of tomatoes totally leaves.
  4. Then add the tomato, pasta sauce and pepper, mix well, now the sauce is ready. Now add the cooked pasta and mix well until the sauce coats well with the pastas.
  5. Sprinkle grated cheese and serve hot.
Tomato Penne Pasta Recipe
My Notes:
  • Take care while cooking the pasta not to make it mushy. It should be soft but still firm enough to bite.
  • You can even use shell or disc type pasta.
  • Add a tsp of oil while cooking pasta is to avoid the stickiness.
  • You can also skip the pasta sauce and add garam masala to make it indian flavoured.
  • Adding olive oil gives a nice flavour to the pastas but if you can use normal cooking oil also.
Tomato Penne Pasta Recipe


Pasta is my favourite for breakfast. It easy to whip up and filling for the morning dose.Though I have tried different pastas penne pasta is my personal favourite. I have tried few readymade pastas in maggi to and have adapted few recipes from them :)


Tomato Pasta Recipe

46 comments:

  1. Penne is even my favorite...n love to eat this 4 dinner...nice clicks..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love penne pasta.. this is so aromatic..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pasta looks awesome and mouthwatering......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy and tangy... will try it out soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite combo, as usual nice picks, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even i always love to cooke penne pasta and ur version sounds yummy.Adding garam masala is a nice idea and nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this too...looks yum..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking Pasta....Nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice recipe using pasta,the pasta we get here is thicker than the ones in your clicks.. This is very interesting recipe..good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never say no to pasta, simply irresistible and my fav tomato penne..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love pasta anytime. My kid's favorite too.

    Vardhini
    Event: Fast food not Fat food

    ReplyDelete
  12. My fav.. I have made this some time back.. Ur pics tempt me to prepare soon..

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful recipe!!! I jsut loved the 3rd shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you ever go wrong with pasta and tomato? :) Love your version... BTW heres one of mine tht combines white and red sauce...
    http://cookingfoodie.blogspot.com/2009/12/home-made-vodka-sauce-with-tortellini.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a recent Pasta convert.Love this simple recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOOhh that looks so so yummy.. Its my sons fav.. Will make this for him for sure.. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. wat a really delightful clicks..
    you are welcome in my space...:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow wonderful recipe,pasta looks mouthwatering,simply superb.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, love the fiery red color so much.Hope it tastes the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this delicious recipe,wonderful presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow...that looks so perfect.....we love eating pasta at home...ur clicks as always is just beautiful...:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love pasta but its ages since I made them at home :) I love the white one just like you but tomato based one would be Indianized and yummy too :) I can see the towel and laddle being used in this pic :) Awesome clicks as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks so yummy and tangy, its one of my fav.pasta with tomato flavor.Awesome presentation as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks very tempting Sharmi...first time to your blog...u have a lovely blog :)

    Do chk out mine :
    http://cookingwithloveandforlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. My kiddo's fav pasta, she can the whole platter in no time :) ~ Fab clicks as always!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  26. Penne pasta looks totally inviting. Especially the second pic is awesome. Makes me drool. Penne and Rigatoni are my favourites. Lovely presentation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simple, Yummy and Mouthwatering....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome recipe and presentation:) Loved the mild flavourful ingredients... truly scrumptious:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow that is too yummy.Can u just tel me wats the substitute for the pasta sauce as i want to try immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Sudha Sabarish : You can skip the pasta sauce and go ahead with tomato sauce alone

    ReplyDelete
  31. looks delicious and very tempting dear...
    will soon give a try :)
    nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like pasta in tomato sauce and this looks yum ...nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  33. My little one loves to have pasta after coming from the park visit. Loved this version. Amazing clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Pasta looks colourful, delicious and yummy. Perfect for snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  35. @nithi : Yes thanks for those nice props :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. love pasta..looks so tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  37. Slurp slurp!! Pasta is my favvvvvourite food and I love any new version of making it, I am going to try this soon, Ur pictures r fantastic Sharmi!

    ReplyDelete
  38. mmm...awesome looking penne..i liked the tangy tomato flavor...i have a recipe for today with mini penne :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. slurp...Pasta is my fav and I would love to have it Indian way..Ur's made me tempt for Italian too..Nice clicks as always

    ReplyDelete
  40. looks delicious and mouthwatering. Excellent preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Tomato pasta looks delicious, my little is fan of pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is my daughter's favorite.. and penne is one of my favorite pastas.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Landed at your blog some time back and i have kept coming back since then. Lovely, simple recipes with mouth watering pictures. keep up the good work.
    I have a question. What is this pasta sauce? is it available in supermarkets? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  44. @Lavs : Thanks for such nice words :) Like pizza sauce u get pasta sauce specially for pastas...Yes it is easily available in supermarkets in several brands.

    ReplyDelete