Friday, March 6, 2009

Carrot Halwa (Gajar ka halwa)

One of the recipes that comes out well every time I do! And thats the 9th wonder in my case....;) Here goes the recipe from my kitchen:
Carrot halwa
Ingredients:
  • Carrot- grated - 2 cups
  • Sugar - 1/2 cup
  • Milk - 1 cup
  • Broken cashews - 1 tbsp
  • Cardamom powder - a pinch [optional]
  • Ghee - 1 tbsp
Carrot halwa
Method:
  1. Heat ghee in a pan and roast the cashews till golden brown and keep it aside. In the same pan, add grated carrot.

  2. Saute it in medium flame till the carrots changes color and gets cooked and raw smell leaves.

  3. This is the stage, then take 1 cup of boiled milk. Add this milk to the carrot and continue to cook carrots in milk.

  4. When carrots start abosorbing milk, add sugar. Continue to cook until the halwa gets thick, the ghee gets seperated and will come out on the sides of the pan.

  5. Add the cardamom powder, mix well, garnish with nuts and serve.
    Carrot halwa
Tastes divine when had with a scoop of vanilla icecream. This dessert is yummy when served cold or hot. A simple yet rich dessert.

Carrot halwa

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my site. Loved your blog too. You've a lovely template. Even i'm in search of 3 column template.

    I love carrot halwa. Your halwa looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color of the carrot halwa. Almonds go equally good with the halwa methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharmile..Thanks a ton for the lovely comment n visit..:) n ofcourse for adding me too..:)
    Love ur cute space..:)..I am crazzy abt carrot halwa's..I am seeing so many for RFRU now..wait till u see the roundup..:P..
    Looks yum with all the badams over it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooh yum!! it looks deeelicious, sharmilee..Thanks for sending it to my event..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sharmile..

    Ur dish and presentation is really awesome... I want to try it...
    Please confirm the number of cups of milk that I should use... In the ingredients section I see 1 cup, but i see 2 cups in Method.. Plesae confirm me, Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Veni : Sorry its a typo, use only 1 cup of milk :)

    ReplyDelete