Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shahi Tukda / Shahi Tukra - A Bread Saffron pudding

This was a dessert they do occassionally in our office, and we used to ask for one more and once when I enquired the recipe it was so simple but believe me its soo tasty!

Shahi Tukhda
Ingredients :
  • Milk - 2 cups
  • Bread - 4 slices
  • Saffron - 2 to 3 strands
  • Sugar - 3 to 4 tbsp
  • Water - 1/4 cup
  • Ghee - to toast
  • Nuts - 1 tbsp (Pista & Badams chopped finely)

Method:
1. Prepare sugar syrup by heating sugar and water in a pan until a syrup like consistency is formed.It should be slightly sticky thats all, dont need to check for string consistency etc.Keep aside

2. Boil the 2 cups of milk, crush saffron strands and add it to the milk. Simmer and thicken it , till it becomes 1 cup (like condensed milk consistency).The rabri is ready now.

3. Toast the bread in ghee in a tawa such that it becomes crisp . You can use ur oven or toaster too.It can deep fried in ghee too.

4. Cut the toasted bread into small triangles.Dip a slice in sugar syrup on both sides, then arrange it in a serving plate and pour the milk/rabri over it to soak well. Fry the chopped nuts in ghee and garnish it.

5.Refrigerate for 30mins and serve chilled!

Shahi Tukhda
My Notes:
  • Either deep fry them in ghee or toast them. Dont deep fry/toast in oil as it will spoil the taste.
  • The bread slices should be crispy else when soaked in milk it will become soggy.
  • If you wish you can cut the sides of the bread. I didnt find any difference after soaking so usually I dont remove the sides of the bread.
  • You can use either white or brown bread. I used white here.
Shahi Tukhda

14 comments:

  1. delicious looking dessert... i am gonna make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this the first time I tasted and tried,but it dint came out well...Sure again I will try,coz this is tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our fav sweet..They also call it Double Ka meeta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is easy
    I am sure my lil one will love it
    good one
    feel free to drop by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made this.. but simplified it a lot and make a quick version.. will post my recipe later. it was very very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting...simple and nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog. You have many varities here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for dropping by.....shahi tukda looks appetizing and inviting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shahi tukda looks very delicious Sharmilee. Thank you very much for sending this for sending this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had this dessert in Bangalore once and I did not like it:(. But seeing your pics I think I would try them again:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love bread pudding.....looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sharmilee - Happy Ugadi to you too. Been meaning to drop by. Thanks for visiting our site. Your banner looks awesome! This recipe seems really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so tasty, Shahi Tukda is a must try.

    ReplyDelete